• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

1/8"-1/4" Pine Wafers

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm back from FL, so am open for orders again! :dancing:

All slats are cut from Eastern White Pine -- a tad softer than basswood on the Janka hardness scale, actually! Perfect for small birds or timid chewers.

For coloured slats, please add 15% to prices below.
1pinewafer-pricelist.jpg

PM me to order :)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've cut the grooves on a stick of pine a little different from my template (a.k.a. not to my satisfaction). So for a limited time (until it runs out -- I have 6' of this stuff currently), I'm offering this shape at a slightly discounted price.

1/8": 50pcs for $9.50, 100pcs for $16.50
3/16": 50pcs for $10.50, 100pcs for $18.00
1/4": 50pcs for $11.50, 100pcs for $19.50

Here's what it looks like -- nothing wrong with it, your birds will enjoy it the same, I'm just OCD :lol:

special2.jpg

Comparison with SHAPE #6

special2-comp.jpg

Coloured version of this shape also available, add 15% to above prices.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance5: Very nice! Very reasonable prices too! Out of curiosity, is all of this wood cutting done outdoors?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love the shapes! :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance5: Oh wow, I love how the piece of wood is positioned on the stick. Angela why did you choose the type of wood that you did? I don't think I am familiar with it.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4: You need to set up an official site! Try Etsy!

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
An excellent review, Frodo! A regular little beaver, he is! Does he prefer 1/8" or 3/16"? :) And I love how you used that chopstick to hold the piece - ingenius!

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance5: Oh wow, I love how the piece of wood is positioned on the stick. Angela why did you choose the type of wood that you did? I don't think I am familiar with it.
Well, I experimented with several different types of pine, and this one is the one my little conures go nuts for! It's the softest of the pines, softer than Western White Pine. And, since I'm closer to the East Coast, Eastern white pine was easier to get! :dancing: Southern Yellow Pine is quite a bit harder - only Target, with her bigger beak, will chew it.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't see much of a difference from your rejects vs your regular inventory. :)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4: You need to set up an official site! Try Etsy!
If I get more interest, I probably would! I don't have too many orders right now, still testing the waters :)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't see much of a difference from your rejects vs your regular inventory. :)
Thanks @Saemma! :) The ones on special right now have slightly shallower grooves on two sides, spaced a bit farther apart than my regular ones.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
An excellent review, Frodo! A regular little beaver, he is! Does he prefer 1/8" or 3/16"? :) And I love how you used that chopstick to hold the piece - ingenius!
Yeah, the hole in the middle is the perfect size for a chopstick. And having the chopstick stuck into a wooden toy base (I think it's a small basswood one from CBT) gives it a bit of stability, so he can spend his effort chewing instead of just chasing it around (silly monkey).

So far we are going through it one stack at a time. He has gone through almost all of the thinnest grooviest stuff now, and he hasn't tried the thicker ones yet. But at one point he had two pieces on a stick next to each other and he was chewing through both at once, so I doubt it will pose much of a challenge! He has taken to this kind of wood completely and loves it almost as much as balsa. (But nothing quite compares to the snip-snip-snip of birdy crack balsa.)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, the hole in the middle is the perfect size for a chopstick. And having the chopstick stuck into a wooden toy base (I think it's a small basswood one from CBT) gives it a bit of stability, so he can spend his effort chewing instead of just chasing it around (silly monkey).

So far we are going through it one stack at a time. He has gone through almost all of the thinnest grooviest stuff now, and he hasn't tried the thicker ones yet. But at one point he had two pieces on a stick next to each other and he was chewing through both at once, so I doubt it will pose much of a challenge! He has taken to this kind of wood completely and loves it almost as much as balsa. (But nothing quite compares to the snip-snip-snip of birdy crack balsa.)

What thickness is the one in your video please? :)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, the "special" I posted last night is tentatively sold out. No one's paid yet though, so I'll keep you updated if anyone backs out. There *may* be 100 1/8" and 50 3/16" pieces left, waiting to hear back from someone.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The "special" is officially sold out!! Good job, guys! And I had 6 feet of that stuff, too... :roflmao:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I ordered 100 pieces each of a mix of grooved squares in all three thicknesses :)