• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby / young GCC behaviour. Help!

James85

Meeting neighbors
I have a GCCC less than 6 moths old. Im a little worried about his behaviour as it is not akin to what ive read is normal. In saying that though I can only really find information on adults. As for his behaviour, well he isnt really interested in his toys at all, or being in his cage with them for that matter. He wants to spend all his time snuggled up, napping under mine or my wifes chin, or down our tops, nested inside our collars, etc. Any place that is warm and close to us. As im typing this he just fluttered over to the coffe table and checked out the things left ontop of it (phone, teasponn, sunglasses), but as soo as i stood up he was back up on my shoulder. Is this normal for a GCC of his age? He's also fluffier and not as smooth as the older GCC i saw, again, is this just a product of his age. Sorry if im asking stupid questions. This is just the first GCC ive had, and any bird of his age for that matter.

Thankyou

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
To me it sounds as though this baby is over humanised and over bonded and has not been taught how to be a bird by whoever raised him. Cuddling and snuggling up to you is completely fine but in moderation. Try during your play times to interact in other ways as well, play games with toys and even try to do some basic 'trick' training (check out www.goodbirdinc.com).
Also what types of toys are you offering, perhaps a different style of toy may interest him more.

James85

Meeting neighbors
He has a rope toy hanging from roof of cage with different colored wooden shapes, and knotts. Hes also got a hard, seed block attached the side of his cage and his tent/hammock in the top corner. Any particular toys gcc seem to enjoy?

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Bells!! Mine loves bells & shredding!!!

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Just sounds over bonded. He just needs to learn to play independently. What country do you live in, so we can post toy suggestions? Mine love balsa and cactus wood to chew on and my baby loves foot toys she can wrestle with.

Like CheekyBeaks said, try and introduce play in to your time together.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Mine love yucca chips, thin pine slats, palm shredding toys, anything with chunky plastic beads they can rattle around, Seagrass matts are also a hit and strong jingle balls (avoid the fine brittle looking ones and the ones with metal bells inside I usually try to get one where the bell is encased in plastic)
Cotton rope toys are actually a potential health hazard if fibres are ingested they can cause digestive blockages that can be life threatening best not to have any cotton ropes or fabric beds. Best to have toys held together by either veggie tanned leather lacing, Seagrass rope, stainless steel skewers or wire, and sisal is apparently safe too.

James85

Meeting neighbors
Wow, you guys are awesome. I live in singapore VV. The overbonding may be it, but ive only had him for 2days, can it happen so quick? Will get more toys for hi tomorrow, though i do worry about overcrowding his cage (feel free to post any pics of what all y'alls cages look like :) ). But thankyou for all the suggestions, really appreciated.

Heather F

Wow, you guys are awesome. I live in singapore VV. The overbonding may be it, but ive only had him for 2days, can it happen so quick? Will get more toys for hi tomorrow, though i do worry about overcrowding his cage (feel free to post any pics of what all y'alls cages look like :) ). But thankyou for all the suggestions, really appreciated.
Oh in that case I wouldn't worry about it! I'd think that's not so much overbonding as just a bird who is trying to feel secure in a new environment. Give your little darling at least a couple of weeks to settle in. You're not going to really see his true temperament until he has decided that all the new things in his new home aren't going to eat him. :wideyed:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
If you've only had him for 2 days he's probably just seeking reassurance in his new surroundings :)

James85

Meeting neighbors
Well my worries about my little fellas behaviour odities were confirmed when i came home and found him dead in his cage last saturday :( . Very upsetting, even if i had only had him for 4 days. Id have take him to the vets if not for the fact i visited the bird shop/breeder first who checked him over and assured me he was fine (died the day following). The only thing that made sense was that he was ill when i got him. I confronted the seller about both their advice and the fact he was dead within 4 days and they replaced him for me. I now have a sun conure who behaves just how ud ecpect and loves the toys. As for my gcc hes gone but not forgotten. I live in a highrise on the 26th floor and so buried him in the appartment grounds. Snuck out one evening and burried him at the foot of a tree in the middle of a grassed picnic area. I can see it when i look down from my wimdow and walk my dog there everyday :angelic:.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for your loss.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I'm So sorry to hear about your GCC :sadhug2:
I would recommend you take your new sunny to an avian vet for a health check if he came from the same place incase there is something contagious that he may be carrying and not showing signs of.

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
I'd make sure you thoroughly clean EVERYTHING that your old bird had contact with that you're allowing your new bird around. Cage, toys, branches, anything near the cage, etc. Birds are so susceptible to illnesses from other birds, and since you're not sure what made your first one sick...

Might be a good idea to take your new conure to the vet and explain what happened to the old so they can do a really thorough examination.

I'm sorry to hear about your gcc :(

James85

Meeting neighbors
New sun conure is doing great im happy to report. And yes, thoroughly cleaned everything with white vinegar and washed down with boiled water (slightly warped the plastic tray insert for the cage base in the process). Anything i couldn't clean (seed brick for example) was thrown away.

CrystalLeo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christi
I'm so sorry about your loss! I would also suggest to have him checked out by a vet just in case, many things can only show up after a long while after you get your Fid. Take him for a full examination just to prevent the same thing from happening to your new baby. :sorrow: