• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus Bite Warnings

Thea'sPapa

Moving in
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and a new parent to a Maxi Poinus hen that is a few months old. I had a cockatiel for about 18 years until it passed away, and then had a male Senegal parrot for six years until I decided to rehome him. I gave the Senegal my best effort, but he made clear that he only liked to be with women, and he mostly liked to sit on his cage and look out the window. He was very gentle and did not bite, but if anyone picked him up from his cage and walked off with him, he flew right back to the cage. I reached the point where I thought this was not the right home for him. Anyhow, the Senegal now lives with a woman who dotes on him, and he flies off his cage to be with her, so that is a happy situation.

Our kids, ages 12 and 9, wanted to get a new bird, and after a good deal of research we decided to take the plunge and get a baby pi. We are in Washington DC and there are no pi breeders within driving distance so we had to get a baby sight unseen from a breeder in North Carolina who has a good reputation. Thea arrived via Delta cargo last week and is settling into her new home nicely. She knew how to step up from finger to finger when she arrived, but would not step up from perch to finger or from the ground to finger. After a few days of training she is going from perch to finger but we are still working on ground to finger.

Thea is a very sweet bird. She makes cute sounds and for some reason is doing a lot of bowing (this is not lowering her head to be petted, but an up and down bowing). She likes to walk around the floor and explore things, and seems to be very playful. I am sure her personality will continue to emerge as she becomes more comfortable in her new home.

I read a few other threads on this forum about pi biting incidents and they left me a little concerned. Despite having read them, I have decided that I want to let Thea perch on my shoulder, even though it makes it difficult to maintain eye contact with her. I was wondering if the veteran pi owners could describe the warning signs for an impending bite. With my Senegal, you could see his eyes pinning very noticeably, and he would strut along the top of his cage in an uncharacteristic way. I was unfamiliar with the hormonal changes that male parrots experience in the springtime, but I quickly learned from a nasty bite that that was not the time to pick him up. Thea is female, and hopefully will not become quite as aggressive as a male once she reaches sexual maturity, but when I look at her (very large) eyes, the irises do not seem to be much lighter than the pupils, so I wonder if I would notice any eye pinning. If it is not eye pinning, what are the warning signs of a pi bite?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They fluff up and get a go ahead make my day look. Many times they'll shreik and take a shot striking like a snake. Lurch will get upset and sqwak and pop me in the neck if some things not going the way he wants. His head gets all puffed out and you can just tell he's mad but like you said hard to tell from the shoulder and they can pinch really hard and poke holes and draw blood.
He still gets to ride on my shoulder but not when I can tell he's pissy and wound up. They are easy to read though and I think you'll be able to tell very soon when she's upset. They all are individual like people and maybe she'll be a gentle soul and not prone to biting. You'll just have to be careful and take a chance, maybe wear a high collar and keep her busy so she doesn't get upset and lash out.
Never had a female as far as I know but folks say they are more easy going.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
My female BH Pi Olivia (RIP) would usually push your hand away with her beak or walk away if she didn't want to interact. If you persisted then she would bite. Only took her a couple bites to train me. Andre my male BH Pi opens his beak and leans forward it isn't a lunge just leans forward. If you don't move your hand away he will bite. Also when he is strutting along the top of his cage approach closely at your own risk. But as dartman says they are very easy to read. And Andre would not get on my shoulder unless he was interested in interacting. If he is on me and decides he has had enough he just flies back to his cage. The only times he has actually bitten me is when I did not respect his wishes. And those have been very few and usually related to making him go in his cage when I don't have the time to wait for him to decide he is ready to go in for his nutriberries.

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Agree with the "pionus are very easy to read" thing. They give you plenty of time to reconsider your intended course of action.

The one one and only time I got nailed though...HOLY $#/^&*$*!!

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Pancha will try to bite my husband, but she has never bitten him hard enough to leave a mark. She never has bitten me though. I agree that she gives very strong warning signs, she holds out her wings and strikes, making a little squeak.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I get strong warnings a lot but there are sudden bites too. I never take my eye off my pi when I am near. Change in their mood can be sudden

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch was like that when he first got here, no warnings at all just POW! He was scared to death of course and I think one of his previous owners was scared of him and swatted at him and ignored any warnings he gave so he quit giving them to protect himself.
Now that he knows we respect him and his warnings, and he's fond of us and happy, he gives plenty of warnings again.