• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Journey

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
  1. DSCF3072.JPG This is my new fid Journey. I brought him home last Saturday after doing his quarantine at a friends due to having no space at my house. I brought him home and let him settle for a day before intoducing him to my cockatiel London.​

DSCF3083.JPG
They hit off right away, and already living in the same cage through out the day. Now before i get the whole "They shouldn't be living together, one is a cockatiel and one is a parakeet.". I have thought long and hard about this and have looked for the right parakeet for London. They absolutely love each other! And i am so happy that London is getting what he needed, he seemed very unhappy and now that he has another birdy friend he seems complete. :)

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't want to throw a wrench into things, but if you have even numbers of each, they can exist very happily caged together, or in a large aviary, once you get dozen or so of each, numbers do not matter so much. there is a huge aviary at the shelter that is the size of a very large walk in closet to give you a feel for size. You literally walk into it to clean and such. This is where parakeets and the tiels that are not super hand tame live very happily together.

At our home we have a fight cage that has 2 male tiels and 2 male budgies. Cam had been a single budgie and was so desperate to make a friend, he kept trying to interact with all the other birds. The day he landed on the java stand and wanted to share a bowl of food with the blue and gold macaw, I knew it was time to get him a set of friends that were more appropriate for him :) We adopted Mitch from the shelter and added the 2 male tiels we had in the home. They all get along just fine, no real squabbles or problems and its been a couple months now. The key we would tell anyone is if that you should have at least 2 of each. First pics are various photos taken of me standing inside the shelter aviary taking pics, then the flight cage with the 4 are our guys, took couple tonight, but did not show everyone that great, but gives you an idea of a happy community home :)

DSC04521.JPG DSC04523.JPG DSC04524.JPG 20140828_212442.jpg 20140828_212450.jpg 2014-07-30 12.48.35.jpg

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
and by the way, your babies are beautiful!!!

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
Thank you, i do plan on getting another cockatiel, and budgie. But for now both birds seem to be happy :) Your birds are beautiful as well.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If you get all the same sex, you have a very good shot at having a very peaceful environment... or at least the species be the same sex... tho will warn you, if you have 2 male tiels, usually at least one of them doesn't realize the other is a dude... We have to shake our heads at Renji and shoo him away from Dante, who tries to keep his dignity by just walking away....

London

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gracelyn
DSCF3080.JPG

London was so happy to see a new friend.

DSCF3064.JPG
For being parent raised bird and having very little handling by humans he is very sweet and calm.
DSCF3070.JPG
DSCF3059.JPG

His first bath, he was really dirty :heart: :heart: :heart: But know he is nice and clean.

DSCF3055.JPG
I want to say this inst my cage or the cage he is staying in, this is the cage the breeder brought him to me in. It was gross and was cleaned out once he calmed down.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're very cute! :)