• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Out of cage time for fearful parrots?

DoodleDoomed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dominick
Apollo is scared of most people but me. She still is mildly fearful of hands, so she won't step up. I'm going to finish teaching her to feed from my palm and targeting. Then stepping up.

She's been stuck in her cage for 10 years. The time's she's escaped she was put back in right away.

My family wont let me take her out because she is terrified of them and will dive bomb them. (she isn't clipped so she can easily fly all over the house)

How can I let her out of the cage to exercise?

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm going to get heat for this but I would personally clip her wings. If she's dive bombing they'll never want her out. Clipping her will give you enough time to run and catch her before she bites toes. I think its her only way out. She may have wings but it does her no good if she's stuck in a cage all the time.
My amazon is attached to her cage so a lot of times I have to get her out of her comfort zone and just put her on the floor to walk. It makes her think and walk while looking for a new perching spot or even her cage. Sometimes we let her just perch on top of her cage and she gets bored so she hangs upside down like bat-bird.
Now that Lucy is more comfortable and her wings are growing back she even practices by flapping her wings. I hope Apollo gets more playtime. I think she'll get there, it just takes time.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Apollo is scared of most people but me. She still is mildly fearful of hands, so she won't step up. I'm going to finish teaching her to feed from my palm and targeting. Then stepping up.

She's been stuck in her cage for 10 years. The time's she's escaped she was put back in right away.

My family wont let me take her out because she is terrified of them and will dive bomb them. (she isn't clipped so she can easily fly all over the house)

How can I let her out of the cage to exercise?

Is her cage on wheels? Can you wheel her cage to a room where it would be just you and her, that way she could get some out of cage play time?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You don't have a spare room that you can use for out flight time with the door closed?

DoodleDoomed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dominick

Is her cage on wheels? Can you wheel her cage to a room where it would be just you and her, that way she could get some out of cage play time?

Yes her cage is on wheels. Her cage is downstairs and the downstairs has almost no doors but my grandparents bedroom and my grandma uses very strong perfume that's practically ingrained in the walls and carpet so I wouldn't want to take her in there. It also smells like dog urine and old people that don't shower very often (masked by perfume). The best place, I think, would be my room but that's upstairs. Ugh.

DoodleDoomed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dominick
You don't have a spare room that you can use for out flight time with the door closed?
I was thinking about that but her cage is downstairs and my whole downstairs is open with no doors.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you start her lessons in a bathroom? Also suggest you hold a perch in your hand so she gets used to seeing it. Then try to perch train. Her with a treat in that hand. Attach a perch to the inside of cage door to help with training and keeping your hands out of cage. Do you know why she was cage bound for 10 years? Most important is to move at a snails pace with her. :facepalm:

McSizzle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mike
A T-stand might be helpful. She might be scared to death of it for a while and if he refuses to stand on it you might have to try slowly creeping toward it, closer and closer, a tiny bit at a time. Once you get him on the stand, he may be less likely to dive bomb anyone cuz she may just be acting territorial about his cage. I'm assuming that's when the dive bombing comes in...if she is attacking while you are handling her (I thought you said she wouldn't step up) then you may be dealing with a slower to fix issue. If you can get her on the stand, then you can put the stand in a neutral place where she may be less likely to lash out.

Lady Jane is right, slow like molasses for your little girl. Sounds like you're on the right path with target training...you're slowly building trust. Good luck!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I was thinking about that but her cage is downstairs and my whole downstairs is open with no doors.
Sounds like a great place to fly to me. There's still walls around the outside. The bigger the area the better. What you need to do is provide "landing stations" in strategic places that are sturdy and don't change (move) so he has a chance to "target" them. It's much easier for them to have the confidence to fly when they know where they are going instead of just taking off in wild abandon.

Landing stations should be up higher, made of good beefy stock and sturdy. They should be set out from the wall about a foot (eg: a 2 inch x 3 foot dowel on some shelf brackets) and up near the ceiling. There is good reason for this. Birds use gravity very well. Watch the birds in your back yard and you will see that they take off from on high, they swoop down to accelerate and glide and then fly "up" to the next destination using gravity to brake as they fly up to the branch. It is very natural for a bird to fly up. It takes skill, practise and confidence to fly "down" and especially land. Your bird will need to master those other skills first. When he can fly almost straight down and land your bird will be an accomplished flyer.

If you keep these things in mind when setting up the environment you are setting them up to "succeed" because of the way you've done it. The only way to learn how to ride a bike well is to get on that thing and pedal. Your bird needs more pedal time.

Last edited:

DoodleDoomed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dominick
Can you start her lessons in a bathroom? Also suggest you hold a perch in your hand so she gets used to seeing it. Then try to perch train. Her with a treat in that hand. Attach a perch to the inside of cage door to help with training and keeping your hands out of cage. Do you know why she was cage bound for 10 years? Most important is to move at a snails pace with her. :facepalm:
She was owned by my grandparents friend Dotty. Dotty was very old when she got Apollo as a fledgling. Apollo was her best friend. She would sit on her lap and be very welcoming to newcomers asking for pets and such so I've heard from the stories. Seems very out of character for an african grey. Anyway, Dotty died and Apollo was passed on to my grandparents. Now they cared for Apollo almost as well as Dotty. Of course, they had no idea that they need more than just seeds and there are more toxic things than avocado. Apollo was doing well until my grandparents moved in with us. Grandma was scared to handle Apollo due to the cats and grandma had a stroke so she was very forgetful.

Apollo was then left in her cage malnourished and under socialized. She got fearful and aggressive and scared of almost anything. She was thought to be male this whole time and was even theoretically blood tested. Pfft, some job they did of that. Anyway, she started laying eggs. When Apollo lays an egg my grandma takes it out and shows the whole house which tremendously stresses the bird. A week or so later my family throws it out if grandma hasn't already saved the thing in her room (which smells terrible. Like dog pee and old people who haven't showered in forever mixed with other scents I can't recognize covered by the immense amount of perfume and cologne my grandparents wear.) Apollo doesn't lay as many eggs as you'd expect actually. Anyway!

Thats why she was kept in her cage for ten years! Curiously enough she's never had a problem with plucking much.

She's coming out of her shell a lot now. She speaks more often such as saying "I want an orange/apple" when she wants a treat and "Go on, get out! Get!" When she's unhappy. There are other little things like "Hello" and the elusive "Good morning, sweet heart!" and my favorite. Dotty used to smoke a lot when she was younger so she has this deep gravelly voice and she was very bad at singing. It's still great when Apollo sings in her voice "La di da da da da DA"

I'm mainly worried about my grandma. She looms over Apollo's cage and gets her face in real close and starts talking to the bird. She also feeds her tons of crap like cheesy crackers and potato chips which makes Apollo often sick. I've posted on the door "don't feed the bird things including cheese, added sugar, avocado, rhubarb, raw beans, raw potato, junk food, cookies etc." but I still end up often fishing potato chips from the food dish. I can't get it into her head as her memory is completely gone. She's the main setback on my training of Apollo.

I walk to the fruits and veggie store up the street very often for stuff to give to Apollo. And when we're out of stock I steam the frozen veggies we keep in the freezer so I'm slowly nourishing her back to health. I think I can have a very rewarding friendship with Apollo if I keep working at it. I don't know if she'll ever be like her original self though...

Feel free to ask more questions.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OMG what an awful situation for you and the bird. I hate to say this but this may be a question of who finds a new home, grandma or Apallo? APALLO is being positioned and will die if something is not done. What are your plans? Please save this bird.

DoodleDoomed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dominick
OMG what an awful situation for you and the bird. I hate to say this but this may be a question of who finds a new home, grandma or Apallo? APALLO is being positioned and will die if something is not done. What are your plans? Please save this bird.
My mom wants to get my carpet replaced this year. I would have the carpet replaced with linoleum or some sort of wood-like material. I would buy a little humidifier and run my heater and do my best to make a perfect little room for Apollo. My grandma's health is plummeting, and as morbid as it sounds I'm thinking she'll die next year, if not before. My sister has a friend who keeps birds and perhaps I could keep her there until my grandparents move out or sadly pass away. My sister and mom are constantly patrolling the downstairs. Apollo has one door to the right of her cage and a curtain. We're often shutting that door to block noise and smell, we also almost every day tell grandma that she shouldn't be feeding the bird these things and we pick them up out of the cage. I clean the bars of the cage with a tooth brush designated to that often and change the papers daily. I also replace water, but grandma is designated to give Apollo the pellets (which we recently switched her to from an all seed diet. I mix the pellets with some dry pasta and a little bit of seed that apollo seems to prefer the pellets over. I also often bake bananas and apples which I can leave in her cage for a day without them spoiling. I'm home schooled so I'm always around Apollo and give her fruits and veggies often. Apollo may die soon but I'm trying my best to keep her alive. Currently I'm trying to get her used to alternating toys in her cage.)

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm sorry about your grandma. My grandma has Alzheimer's and dementia and it's so difficult watching her go through it.
Since you're home schooled why not have Apollo hang out with you while you do your work? Maybe play a movie for her, or let just let her watch what you are doing? We used to do this with Lucy. She would sit with the one kid she liked and he would do his work and she would just perch. Eventually she got down, explored, bit toes, and then she finally felt comfortable being handled. It took almost two months for her to want anything to do with us.

DoodleDoomed

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dominick
I'm sorry about your grandma. My grandma has Alzheimer's and dementia and it's so difficult watching her go through it.
Since you're home schooled why not have Apollo hang out with you while you do your work? Maybe play a movie for her, or let just let her watch what you are doing? We used to do this with Lucy. She would sit with the one kid she liked and he would do his work and she would just perch. Eventually she got down, explored, bit toes, and then she finally felt comfortable being handled. It took almost two months for her to want anything to do with us.
That sounds wonderful. How do I start doing that?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If a bird is fearful, it may help to isolate the bird in a quiet place so as to reduce the amount of stress the bird is exposed to. Allowing them to get accustomed to the new environment before working with them is ok, too. It is not a requirement for the bird to come out of the cage ASAP to start working with them. Training can also begin from within the cage with the door closed.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Time and patience is key. Since you are home, I would give your grandma health treats she can pass to Apollo. And perhaps designate special time alone with her, where other members of the family are asked to stay away for the room during this time.