• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seeking central Illinois parrotlet breeders

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'm looking for preferred male blue, or dilute colors of parrotlets for sale. It's really hard finding one in my area and I feel like I've checked everywhere. I'd like maybe a hour and a half longest distance to travel. Sometimes I'm in chicago to visit family but very rarely do I go up there.
Anyone know of some breeders in this area?

I've looked for facebook page breeders, and several website but the only closest was one in decatur who at that time they are still weaning their young parrotlets and could take several weeks.

Otherwise I am waiting till june 22 as there is a small bird convention in my city at a church.

Also this is a very random question but can petco/petsmart clip parrotlets wings?

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
bump still looking for TAME/friendly dilute blue preferred male parrotlets!

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I wouldn't trust a pet store to clip wings based on the hack jobs I've seen them do. Occasionally where I am (not sure where in IL you are) I see plets for sale on CL but not often. Chicago is your best bet, otherwise you may have to either travel out of your comfort zone or have one shipped to you. I know I've seen a few plet people at the bird fairs in Joliet or Rolling Meadows (both of those are about two to three hours from me), but I haven't been able to track anyone down online.

If you trust the breeder in decatur why not wait for a baby then? A few weeks is not long to wait considering the years you'll be together.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Do you still have your parrotlet you got a couple weeks ago?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You might want to try Gaye Schaul - Sir Wood - she's a member here and also a vendor @ the Rolling Meadows bird fair - VENDOR LISTINGS

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I want to remind you that while plets certainly can be cuddly, a lot of them are very independent little birds. I'm not sure what "went wrong" with the other little one you brought home but the same may happen with a new parrotlet.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Wasnt the other one you got tame? Parrotlets are ALL nippy indepedent babies.

What are you expecting to be different with this "new" one? Are you sure parrotlets are right for you?

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
How to hand tame Haku? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Please read everyone's comments in the thread you made on yoir other parrotlet you decided to throw away.

He was already handraised.

Whats going to be different this time?
I didn't "throw" him away =/ I am new to birds and I could not handle him, he was wayy to fearful and bit hard, I did not have time for him.
A older woman was able to adopt him, and she was very sweet.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Honestly, whether it is a hand raised/tame baby or not, it takes time for a new baby bird to warm up to a new environment and owner. Instead of putting the fault on the parrotlet, you need to look at what you may have been doing to get those bites. Expecting a new bird to immediately want to be held and interacted with can ruin trust that isn't even there to begin with.

Parrotlets train their owners by nipping/biting them. A bite in my opinion is enough to break skin and cause bleeding. Anything less than that is a nip and should be considered a warning from the parrot. Parrotlets will also go through an even more nippy/biting stage around 6 months or so. It can last for a couple months.

I adore Yoshi...but to be honest, there isn't a day that goes by that he doesn't display and charge at me for some reason. Whether I got to close to his plastic bag or my son while Yoshi was on him. And, when he first came home my son scared him several times. It took almost a year before Yoshi would interact with him again. Now they are inseparable, so a bond and trust can be built with patience.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
He was a typical handraised parrotlet. If you couldnt handle that one you wont be able to handle the next. Theyre nothing like lovebirds, which I'm assuming you'll think they'll be like?

I understand that you're new to birds. Its ok :) But you need to have reasonable expectations for them, too. Especially birds you just get and dont put time and patience into them.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I didn't "throw" him away =/ I am new to birds and I could not handle him, he was wayy to fearful and bit hard, I did not have time for him.
A older woman was able to adopt him, and she was very sweet.
Then I'd advise you not try again with another parrotlet. Haku was being a parrotlet. Milo was the same way when I brought him home, it takes TIME and working with them to build a relationship. Milo chomped me more times than I can count, even after he became my buddy.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You are expecting to meet and acquire a new bird and have him/her absolutely be fine with you right away. That would even be unrealistic for a human companion and, yes, while a human companion wouldn't nip you if you signed an apartment rental contract with them, you would be stuck with that person until the end of lease. Consider trying that approach with the next bird you "get" because it will be scared of you until it settles in and you will need to spend some serious time on a regular basis with your bird for it to get used to you. If you do not have the time to spend with a new companion animal then you shouldn't get one - would you take on a human signifcant other if you couldn't spend time with them? Then don't try it with an animal/bird.

Some birds adapt faster and more easily and others don't. I have adopted a couple of members of my flock. My tiel Peeps was happy to come home to other tiels. I have 2 Quakers and a sun who took longer, each in their own way to adapt to the household. You cannot expect everything to be hunky-dory right away, more so if you do not have very much patience with a different outlook.
Good luck. :hug8: