• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sooo.. I need suggestions/help?

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
im not sure how willingly he was sitting, i think he was enjoying the head rub, but he is pretty fearful of hands, he doesnt bite them, just runs away

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
/sigh

more plucking tonight.. i see a vet visit in our future.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Cute little lovie...A vet check is always a good idea for a new bird. I have a lovie - she does not having a plucking problem...she loves toys she can shred...anything made with palm...Planet Pleasures has lots of toys your lovie may like. Mine also like toys that have bells.

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
he has toys with bells, and shredders, and he doesnt seem to know how to play or how to take a bath.. i know plucking is normally emotional thing.

the owner showed me a clean bill of health dated one week before pick up and i did call the vet and confirm. but like all tbings, im sure it will get worse before it gets better.

i have a humidifer on the way to help get the room better for birds and myself, central ac is not so cool always lol. i also have a smaller cage on the way, the exact one the last owner kept him in..

i do notice that if i leave the room and am gone for longer than 30seconds he calls for me, just one or two squawks. if i frighten him then he sounds an alarm, i also get the alar,m while refreshing his food n water.. kinda like "OOHH crap!! ITS IN MY House Now!!!" runs from hands but does not bite and loved the scritches provided once in hands.. (i had to pull him out of box from home and again from wing clip, had to show him hands can be gentle and friendly)

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
You might end up with a cuddler on your hands if he learns to trust you. I'm sure he greatly appreciates being liberated from his previous situation. Poor baby looks so rough. :( Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking him in and wanting to give him a loving home!
I second third and fourth this!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I'm so glad to see he has been liberated. He is probably calling out for you because he's afraid you are going away for a long time and he doesn't want to be alone. Try playing a radio on a quiet, low tone to reassure him he is not alone.

Keep up the good work.

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
i always come back to him. i spoke with the avian vet in my area today

she said if his plucking was something other than emotional he wouldnt have increased his plucking just from moving homes and she is suggesting i wait a while before bringing him in for anything other than a small exam. she says i need to focus on bonding with him not with his plucking or health.

so, we will see..

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
i got a smaller cage, 30x18x18, moved him into it on vets suggestion. and my humidifier is up and running now, its so cute. its a cool mist one shapped like a teardrop. brand is Crane, i love them, bit of white noise, bit of a glow, turns off after its empty..

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I agree bonding is inportant but i think health to be 1st priority. Find it odd a vet would say otherwise. Hopefully it is just an emotional deal and youll have a hapoy AND healthy bird

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Awwww! He needs extra love to make up for when he was missing it!

SEWIgurl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
kate
UPDATE:

Took Kyan to two different vets. Clean bill of health from both. :D :D

Kyan moved into a 30x18x18 cage and seems to love it. Every few weeks i notice a new toy moved or chewed on that he hasnt touched before. and the plucking has gone down, but hasnt stopped.

Now, we get to my new issue. been doing training sessions in the bathroom or livingroom, as training anywhere near cage (my room) leads to just trying to get back to the cage. Wings have been clipped by vet so that kyan just cant take off. My problem is, getting kyan out of the cage to interact with. if a hand is placed into the cage, quick ninja bird arrouses and does great evasive maneuvers to keep me away from the "nest" area. Running back n forth, flying to other end, dips, dives.. could it be possible that i have a female? Kyan calms down as soon as cage is out of site.

ive sat on a stool for day after day, week after week with hand against the cage, or just inside. Nothing has gotten better. :banghead:

Any ideas? i will get updated photos of cage and bird posted as soon as i reread how to do it :o:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
My budgies did the same thing, running from me like crazy whenever I put my hands in the cage. What worked was to switched to stick training. I held a millet sprig next to a hand-held perch inside the cage a few times a day and they eventually readily stepped up onto the stick to eat the millet. From there I moved the stick closer to the cage door. Once they were comfortable with that I moved the stick out of the cage. Now whenever I open the door they fly and stand on the opening and will hop onto the stick when I offer it to them. They still prefer the stick to my finger when inside the cage. Once outside the cage they will step onto my finger. It takes patience and repetition. :cheer: