• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bad molt = one scared Conure? Poor Darwin:(

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
So Darwin has never had the easiest time growing in feathers. For a long time he his thumb feather on one side would grow in curly and an extremely painful. This happened three or four times in one year, and our was considering applying extreme heat or cold to destroy the follicle so it would not bother him anymore. Luckily, we haven't needed to do that, and that feather hasn't caused him grief in a couple years.
However, now whenever he grows in flight feathers it gets him in quite a state. He is going through a particularly tough molt. He just seems a little tired (understandable! I can only imagine the energy it takes to molt and grow new feathers) and frightened and really nervous, mainly around my SO and I.

I am not quite sure what to do (if I can do anything at all). We will have his cage door open, and Dexter will be out, but Darwin just hides in his cage. I get it. He feels safest in his cage, and it is fine for him to stay in there if he isn't feeling well, but he just seems so nervous and agitated even in his cage. He does the flat body and fluttery wing thing and makes nervous sounding chirps, and he does this thing where he sits on his favourite perch and repeatedly puts his foot up on the cage bar. He does this usually when we ask if he wants to step up and it seems to be his way of telling us that he does not feel comfortable doing that, but lately he has been doing it even if we are not even near his cage.

I know many birds get grumpy when going through a big molt, but I have not heard of this sort of thing. Does anyone else's birds get extra sensitive or nervous when they are molting?
I just feel so bad for the little guy. Usually he is our sassy tough guy (though he does have a tendency to be sensitive at times). I hope he is back to his usual self soon.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Does he enjoy baths or being misted? Moisture helps to make the molting process easier on the bird. I am sorry for not remembering, but do Dexter and Darwin get along? Preening can be helpful if they are both willing to preen each other. I am sorry that I do not have any other ideas.

Matt

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh poor guy. Mine will do that body language when they want to go to a different room. Perhaps cover the side of his cage and see if he wants more hiding?

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
We have tried covering one side of his cage, and as soon as we do that he runs into his tent and pretends to sleep. :(
He also does that if he gets startled and flies. He runs so fast straight to his tent and makes sad eyes. I think it is pretty painful for him to fly right now. I just feel so bad for the little monster. Hope he is almost done with this molt.

On a cute note, Dexter seems to be concerned with his buddy too and will sit on top of his cage, look down at Darwin in his tent and say "c'mere, c'mon". It's so sweet. Although, one time I think Dexter had enough of Darwin moping in his tent, so he went into his cage, grabbed the tent, and pulled it out from under him! Lol. Darwin just sat there hanging on to the bars like, " what the heck just happened? Where'd my tent go?"

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Matt, Darwin does like baths, but he refuses to have one when he is in his super sensitive mood. He had a bath a week ago, and I am going to try again this weekend and see how he feels.
He and Dexter have a very hot and cold relationship. But they do preen for short periods of time, and we are trying to encourage as much of that as possible.
Thank you for the suggestions. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Have you tried taking a water spray bottle and spraying over his head? The water gently falls on the bird. It will not soak him, but the moisture will help. Another idea is to try using a vacuum in the room. Many people find that the noise of the vacuum stimulates the bird's desire to bathe.

Matt

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
If the molt is that bad and he is having that much pain and consider seeing a vet and use of metacam (anti inflammatory medicine) for a short period of time . Individuals can have different responses.