• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT HELP: Budgie keeps desperately scratching his bottom

john5677

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I've had this parakeet for over 2-3 years. He's healthy, never had any type of issues. I spray him with water every day, give him seeds+lettuce and carrots.

Recently for the past few days he's been scratching at his belly/butt. At first when he did it i thought nothing of it, but recently he's been doing it a lot. The last time I seen this type of behavior in a parakeet was when my female budgie a few years back had an egg in her, and she'd always scratch at it with her foot

But this is a male bird. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? I don't have enough money to go to the vet until I get my $ check in a few days.

Notes:
- There doesn't seem to be any noticeable growth anywhere

- His poop has gotten a bit larger, and watery

- He seems to be eating fine. Singing, making noises

- He usually starts to puff up and then scratch

- His flight doesn't seem to be affected.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
<bump>

Could you at least call your vet and speak with them? They may be able to give you some advice over the phone and you may be able to make payment arrangements.

john5677

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
As of right now? Sadly not, since the vet places are all closed

Even then, in the past when i tried asking for help, they required i make an appointment and see the vet, instead of being able to talk to them directly. I can try tomorrow, but no real guarantees if it'll be successful.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Was he DNA-tested? Are you sure he's male lol?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How is he scratching his butt? Like rubbing it against things?

john5677

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
100% sure it's a male. His nose is dark blue , and back when I had a female parakeet it at least had a noticeable growth to show it was going to lay an egg. Not to mention it'd get extremely cranky. With this parakeet, he has another male companion, and they both normally don't do anything out of the ordinary.

And no, not really rubbing it against things. He's using his foot to scratch the area . People who have had female parakeets that were in the process of laying eggs should have an idea of what i'm talking about. It's not masturbating, or doing anything really "natural"

He's never scratched it like this before, which is why it's concerned me.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I wonder if he has an intestinal bacterial infection that causes the itchiness. Could explain the watery poops.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Tumors also come to mind...

Have you found anything else out?