• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My umbrella cockatoo won't eat her formula.

.Budgie

Moving in
We bought a 4-5 month umbrella cockatoo that was supposed to be hand fed but isn't, she won't eat her formula so we had to force feed her with a tube, she isn't active, very quiet and doesn't make a lot of noises or play around.

She also sneezes with discharge.

We tried giving her mashed apple but she wouldn't eat much ... how can we feed her I don't want her to starve to death . I took her to the vet but he wasn't helpful enough he fed her forcefully but we can't do what hes shown us to do . I also told him about the sneezing and discharge, but he said she doesn't look sick, he said he would take a blood test and get to us in 10 days but that's too long. Please help. :(

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
time to see the Vet

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Bcause she isn't eating doesn't mean she was not hand fed. Formula needs to be the right consistancy and temperature. Use the right implement to feed such as syringe or curved spoon.

Nasal discharge and sneezing is not usual so you may need to see a different vet sooner than later.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you contact the breeder or whoever you got her from and ask for help on hand feeding? And if she has discharge, I think you may need to find another vet.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
And what are you keeping her in? A cage? With dry food and water? How long have you had her?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
A lot of time people only post one thing they "think" is the problem. There may be much more to the situation. What ever information you have would be helpful.
Where are you located as we may know another vet in your area
What is your birds housing
Did you visit bird and if so what were you shown.
Was your bird active when you got her

Even though your bird is hand fed other food needs to be available and readily visible to your bird. If hungry they don't usually search for food but sit in one place. They won't play either.

Provide warm mushy food which you can feed by hand. Sweet potatoes with coconut milk mashed together makes a tastey treat. Once jump started birds are more likely to eat other things.

Cage placement. Birds need a sense of security so placement is important. One research showed that birds who cannot see an outside door are more secure than those near an outside door.

Your birds condition as described by you is not good. Waiting a week for a bird to eat is too long before returning to a vet

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
One suggestion with what you have described. Find a certified Avian Vet and take this bird in. NO other choice, discharge is serious, very serious and not normal.

Birds and young animals crash very easily. You need to do this like today!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
If someone can correct me if I am wrong, shouldn't a 4-5 month old Too be pretty much weaned onto other foods but still require comfort feedings? :huh:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Umbrellas can be picky eaters and some require hand feeding for longer periods of time. But, it sounds like this baby has something else going on which would throw her back into hand feeding needs.

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Is the sneezing and discharge an all the time thing, or after you she has eaten the formula. Tube feeding is quite dangerous and not for a beginner. At 4-5 months she should be at least eating some foods and only needing comfort feedings, if any. You need to get this bird to an avian vet immediately, even if you have to drive a distance to get to one. After a clean bill of health, then you can focus on getting it weaned properly.

.Budgie

Moving in
Okay we got this bird 2 days ago, we will contact the breeder and the vet said sneezing was alright (wth?) we are looking for an avian certified vet because this one clearly doesn't know his stuff.
(S)he's been not eating anything and today she screamed and what looked like hiccuping between screams? I perched it on my hand and put her close to me and stroked her until she calmed down, stayed with her for a while and put her to sleep.
We successfully fed her with apples when she was screaming though I don't know if it was feeding? She just kept picking bits and mushing them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think baby birds can go without food very long and there's also the risk of dehyrdration if she's not drinking. I think you need to do something quickly. Can you take her back to the breeder for handfeeding? Or find an avian vet that can do it? I hope everything is okay.

.Budgie

Moving in
I don't think baby birds can go without food very long and there's also the risk of dehyrdration if she's not drinking. I think you need to do something quickly. Can you take her back to the breeder for handfeeding? Or find an avian vet that can do it? I hope everything is okay.
We give her those cups shaped like thimbles that she can drink from, for food we have to force feed her (we are taking her to a relative that had an umbrella cockatoo that can force feed her tomorrow.)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Where are you located so we can help find you an avian vet? Are you offering any other foods in a bowl or on a plate so she can search it and try the foods to eat.

Being handfed bird doesnt mean she needs handfeedings. Could it be that she is WEANED already?

Are you offering pellets and chopped fresh foods for her in a bowl or plate, so she can eat?

Can you ask the breeder or pet shop what they were feeding her, so you can offer her the same foods?

I know we are asking a lot of questions but if you want suggestions and advice for help, please take a moment to answer the questions.

.Budgie

Moving in
Where are you located so we can help find you an avian vet? Are you offering any other foods in a bowl or on a plate so she can search it and try the foods to eat.

Being handfed bird doesnt mean she needs handfeedings. Could it be that she is WEANED already?

Are you offering pellets and chopped fresh foods for her in a bowl or plate, so she can eat?

Can you ask the breeder or pet shop what they were feeding her, so you can offer her the same foods?

I know we are asking a lot of questions but if you want suggestions and advice for help, please take a moment to answer the questions.
We've tried Trill seeds, fresh cucumbers, raspberries and apple slices.
The breeder used to make her eat cerelac and we changed it a formula.

So far we have found an avian vet, and we will be getting in touch.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Agreed. Sneezing with discharge is not normal. Sneezing without discharge could be as simple as a dry environment.

I would try to locate an actual avian vet. As mentioned, post your location, we may be able to give you a recommendation!

Good luck with your little one!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Just keep offering a variety of foods that she can try. Try also eating the same foods with her.

Are you located in iraq? Or india?

Im not sure what local produce you are able to get. Or frozen foods. Or pellets.

.Budgie

Moving in
Just keep offering a variety of foods that she can try. Try also eating the same foods with her.

Are you located in iraq? Or india?

Im not sure what local produce you are able to get. Or frozen foods. Or pellets.
I'm located in the UAE where people love falcons, who are avian so it was easy to get with a vet.

We've fixed everything now and no more problems are occurring. :D

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Great news!