• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Freedom our Blind African Grey

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
She is precious! Thankfully her spirit isn't broken.

God speed on your recovery and hers.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
how are you doing? how is Freedom doing ??

doodadz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leilani
Congrats on rescuing your new friend. Humans who are totally blind sometimes suffer from a circadian rythm disorder called " non-24". There is a new drug out for it fairly recently which means that it is expensive and definitely not dosed for birds. If the disturbed sleep cycle gets more than you want to deal with or you feel that it might add more stability to her life ask your vet about adding melatonin to her bedtime regimen. Not sure if birds can do that but it might help and might be worth asking about.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran

Hopefully this works is a video from Freedom today. Each month we have her she is getting more animated. Though she will only whistle when the TV is on so sorry for the background noise :)

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hey guys anyone have any idea on getting Freedom to eat healthy things?
I switched her the day I brought her home to a pucker's diet that they sell at OMARs which is a local bird store here in SoCal. She will pick at it here and there. She Loooooves her nuts and will pitch a fit if she runs out she will throw all her food out of her other bowls if she doesn't have any nuts. I have been trying to get her to try veggies and fruits but all she does is throw them out of the bowls and go back to her nuts. She is a little skinny - anyone have tricks they do to get their birds to gain weight? Hanging a SS skewer from the top of the cage won't really entice her unless to ran right into since she cant see :cautious:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What worked for Ruby who is a picky eater was to chop her fresh veggies small so she can't pick any out ( I did a quick whirl in the VitaMix) and then sprinkled grated nuts on top with a few chopped tiny pieces also mixed in. Little by little I was able to omit the nuts.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My grey loved pomegranate seeds and this is the time of year to get them. Also sweet potato French fries.

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Hey guys anyone have any idea on getting Freedom to eat healthy things?
I switched her the day I brought her home to a pucker's diet that they sell at OMARs which is a local bird store here in SoCal. She will pick at it here and there. She Loooooves her nuts and will pitch a fit if she runs out she will throw all her food out of her other bowls if she doesn't have any nuts. I have been trying to get her to try veggies and fruits but all she does is throw them out of the bowls and go back to her nuts. She is a little skinny - anyone have tricks they do to get their birds to gain weight? Hanging a SS skewer from the top of the cage won't really entice her unless to ran right into since she cant see :cautious:
Good for Freedom and all of us that you got her.
Think about trying Tinkerbell Mash for here.
Have a look at how healthy Tink Mash is as food for thoughts.

A possible solution to plucking problems as well.
Morning with Harry & the decision// Sultan of Oman Palace// Tinkerbell Mash Batch 7
Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Morning with Harry & the decision// Sultan of Oman Palace// Tinkerbell Mash Batch 7

If there are no underlying medical reasons for the plucking, and your birdie is given lots of emotional and lifestyle caring, it might be with the diet.

Read
Hand of Clod //3 hour and day old Mash // Outdoor hide&seek recalls
Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Hand of Clod //3 hour and day old Mash // Outdoor hide&seek recalls

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Freedom had her first outing today :)
Though she isn't a fan of outings. She went to get her beak and nails trimmed. She looks so much better now though it was a very scary experience for her. She stepped up for 2 people at the bird store :) I was very proud of her! Everyone was interested on hearing about how great she gets around her cage and how I edited it to allow her to move around. I picked up a bunch of new bird mixes and I am hoping she will like one of them. I will also try some of your advice.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
she is beautiful. try my recipe for sweet potato truffle. Rocky would never any veggies until just recently. and he like these a lot in cockatiel type size. instead of the nut dust that i make for his truffles, try putting a nut that Freedom like inside and then cover it with the sweet potato mash, chill it for 1/2 hour to firm it up, then roll it in nut dust made up of the nut you put inside. you can add a smidge of cinnamon to the nut dust.
Pictures - Sweet Potato Truffles for your feathered buddies | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
:tiel2: and mom

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might want to give Caitec Oven Fresh Bites a try. My birds are very picky eaters and except for Zupreem fruity pellets don't generally touch pellets. However, I purchased the oven fresh bites and all of them like these. Oven Fresh Bites Bird Food I feed a combination of the Bites and their seed mix.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
you are welcome i hope she likes them as much as Rocky does.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Great to see she is doing so well! You are doing a great job with her! :highfive:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What is that she is chewing on? Looks like fun

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :heart: :hug8:

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
You both lucky to meet and good for each other.