• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehome Adoption "Contract"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovieLuvr

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I'm in the process of adopting a tiel that is not through a rescue group. The tiel is a rehome, which is why I thought it was appropriate to ask this question here. My husband suggested that we should have something in writing when she brings us our new fid this week.

I do not think the owner will come to our doorstep when her situation is better to ask for us to give back her bird, but since my husband suggested having something in writing....I don't want to leave the option open. :(A similar situation happened to me when I purchased my car from a family member without "something in writing." Long story-short...I got completely screwed over...so this is another reason why my husband suggested having a "contract") I hate using the word "contract" because it sounds kind of scary. But every animal that we have adopted we had to sign a contract that stated we would take care of the animal, if we ever had to give it up we would contact the rescue group and not an animal shelter ect.

How would we bring this up to the owner without offending her or ruining the chance of us adopting him this week? :sour:

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
I took in two rehomes in the past and both times I asked for them to sign a short "receipt" if you will saying I paid for or was given the bird on such and such date and the owner was relinquishing complete ownership to me. I did this so that I could prove ownership and for legal and vet purposes, etc. With Syd I had vet records transferred from her vet and needed proof he was mine to get them transferred. It doesn't have to be a long "contract" just something simple saying the bird is now yours with their name and signature on it along with the date.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I took in two rehomes in the past and both times I asked for them to sign a short "receipt" if you will saying I paid for or was given the bird on such and such date and the owner was relinquishing complete ownership to me. I did this so that I could prove ownership and for legal and vet purposes, etc. With Syd I had vet records transferred from her vet and needed proof he was mine to get them transferred. It doesn't have to be a long "contract" just something simple saying the bird is now yours with their name and signature on it along with the date.
Thank you! The owner is bringing him to our home with his cage to make everything an easier transition. Vet purposes is a perfect example and a great way to approach her. I was planning on transferring Stitch's to her current avian vet before I considered rehoming, so I know they will need proof.

happykappy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wendy
Great suggestion. I have a feeling I will need this in my future too.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
For your own protection, get a contract or release form. Hand written is OK. Signed by both parties and give a copy to the previous owner, :hug8:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I in the first time in my life signed a contract for my rescue sheltie. He is property of them shall anything happen to me ever, they would want him back. He cannot be given away or sold, he has to go back to them and I respect the reason as to why. He was pulled a month ago from a rural shelter in KY and taken in, vet checked, neutered, dental done, shots etc etc he was even groomed and in such a great foster home. So contracts should be in place so people cannot flip them etc. but I am not sure of the legal bindings with this rescue but they paperwork was done with an attorney the way it reads and states.

You cannot offend a true animal lover who is considering the best interest of an animal. :highfive:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hate to rain on this parade but when a bird or any other animal one plans on adopting is "delivered to your door" it can be a bad sign. The owner does not want you to see the conditions the animal lived in. May be a hoarder or a flipper with too many birds. Please be careful and get references, especially vet.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Hate to rain on this parade but when a bird or any other animal one plans on adopting is "delivered to your door" it can be a bad sign. The owner does not want you to see the conditions the animal lived in. May be a hoarder or a flipper with too many birds. Please be careful and get references, especially vet.
Thank you for the suggestions! Thankfully, I know her avian vet so I can easily call them to hopefully get a reference. After seeing your post I suggested that we could possibly meet Peatree before we complete the adoption. Now I'm going to just wait and see her response :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good for you. If you do not hear from this person then you will know why. Sometimes the person surrendering the animal will want to see where the animal will live and the conditions of your home.

Verivus

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Chrissy
If you're really concerned, I would type up something addressing all of your concerns, get it notarized (my bank does it for free), and then have her sign it. Probably the cheapest, most effective way to protect yourself from a legal standpoint.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Well, it could be that the current owner wants to see what living arrangements the bird is going to. It kinda' works both ways. But I would be very wary of her being a possible flipper, although if she has an avian vet, she probably isn't.

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
All went well! Chris and I met the previous owner, she completely agreed with the idea of a "contract." So I showed her a very simple template that I found and adjusted it to a bird adoption. We all signed it and Peatree is settling into our home now.

Attachments

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's very good news, Christina! Congratulations!

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Congrats, Christina! Sounds like all went well!!
And Peatree is gorgeous! :heart:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What a beautiful Cockatiel! Happy to hear you've taken steps to make sure nothing can backfire on you in the future.

It's a good reminder to all of us.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If you're really concerned, I would type up something addressing all of your concerns, get it notarized (my bank does it for free), and then have her sign it. Probably the cheapest, most effective way to protect yourself from a legal standpoint.
I was going to suggest this as well, having a document notarized is really easy and can save you some hassle!

Status
Not open for further replies.