• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting

BirdNooblet

Meeting neighbors
I have never sprouted before but want to give it a try. I was wondering if any of the bird seed that I have can be sprouted. They are Hagen original budgie seed, Hartz Bonanza Parakeet diet, and Hagen gourmet budgie seed.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If it's fortified (has added vitamins and minerals in it), has dried fruits and/or veggies in it or it has dyes in it, then no. That stuff can cause the sprouts to go off.

You want clean seed with nothing added to it.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Higgins Supreme Parakeet seed is very clean with no additives. I am planning to start sprouting some next week to see how it works.
(ingredients: white millet, German millet, grey millet, canary seed, red millet, small oats, flax and nyger seed).

Right now I'm sprouting 'Lil Bird Sprout Mix' that I bought from Sprout People. So far it looks good. Lil Bird Sprouts
(ingredients: Sunflower (in shell), Wheat, Spelt (hulled), Triticale, Barley (hulless), Oats (hulless), Millet,Buckwheat (in hull), Brown Rice, Black Lentils, Crimson Lentils, French Blue Lentils and Red Lentils, Adzuki Beans, Mung Beans, Fenugreek, Brown and Golden Flax, Alfalfa, Red Clover,Oriental Mustard, Daikon and China Rose Radish, Quinoa, Sesame, Amaranth ).

MissingMango

Walking the driveway
I have the little bird mix from Sprout People also and Opie LOVES it! I just posted a little write up and picture of my yield on my blog if you would like to see what it looks like sprouted :) Bitty Birdies: Sprouts

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
@MissingMango
Laura, I read your blog entry and see you had success using mason jars with the SproutPeople's SS draining lids. That's awesome! They wouldn't work for me no matter how many times I tried so I finally bought their EasySprouter and even though today is the first rinse it's looking promising!

BirdNooblet

Meeting neighbors
Thank-you all for all the information. The Hagen original budgie seed looks like it is straight seed. However I would want confirmation if it is. This is what it looks like.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thank-you all for all the information. The Hagen original budgie seed looks like it is straight seed. However I would want confirmation if it is. This is what it looks like.

Here's the ingredients:
Ingredients are white millet, canary grass seed, oat groats, red millet, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), calcium carbonate, orange oil, ferrous carbonate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, niacin, vitamin e supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin a supplement, thiamine mononitrate, calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, vitamin b12 supplement, sodium selenite, vitamin d3 supplement.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's what I would think. Better to get a different kind.