• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brought Home My New Guy

StacyMadl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stacy Madl
Okie so I brought home my new little conure. The thing is my Amazon is acting really weird now. I think he is mad at me. Niblet (zon) is actually my moms bird and Spootchies (conure) is mine. Anyways I just need advice, I am getting my own place in a few months, they don't go near each other, they each have there own play stands on opposite sides of the living room and are never out together unless I am right there in between them. If I even have to walk 5 feet away Spootchies either comes with me or goes back into his cage. I guess I am asking two things. One is how to make things work, where their cages and play things are, are the only places they can be, me and my mom are in a tiny one bedroom apartment. And will Niblet go back to normal after I get my place and Spootchies moves in with me?Any other advice would be very helpful. I am very careful and there is no interaction between them at all. I love them both and I don't want Niblet to be mad at me. Thanks :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Niblet is mad, there's a new kid on the house. Give Niblet one on one time first, and give Spootchies one on one time second. Or even in a different room. Your correct to never leave them out without supervision, others will chime in soon.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
congrats give them separate time out the older bird first

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Yup, I agree with the others. Separate cage time, oldest first. And watch your Conure like a hawk. Conures think they are 10ft tall and bullet proof. So Spootchies may think he can take on Niblet. Even just landing on Niblets cage he could lose a toe, his beak or life through the bars if Niblet decided to show his displeasure.
Enjoy your new little one. Conures are great. Not that I'm by biased.

StacyMadl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stacy Madl
Yeap she really thinks she is the biggest guy in the house! I love her personality though, a little nippy but boy does she have personality. And thanks for the suggestions everyone. Usually what I do is bring them both out, I play with Niblet while my mom plays with spootchies in the other room, then I spend some time teaching Spootchies to forage and some training such as step up while my mom watches niblet. Niblet always gets my attention first :) He was so much better yesterday! I am at my boyfriends mom's now but I am so excited to see them again in a few days. Thanks for all the advice :)

McSizzle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mike
When I brought Hilo home, Opi was mad at me for a solid week! She thought I was going to abandon her for him. Once she realized I wasn't she was OK. But as soon as I brought Hilo out on my hand, she started squeaking incessantly until I acknowledged her.

I also have to use different 'phrases' for things with Hilo or Opi will get jealous. I don't ask Hilo if he want's "a head scratch" cuz Opi will react, so Hilo knows that "want love?" means head scratch and it works out just fine. I'm sure they'll eventually figure it out, but for now it keeps them both happy.

Have fun with your baby!

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Just have to say that your birds have really cute names!

StacyMadl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stacy Madl
When I brought Hilo home, Opi was mad at me for a solid week! She thought I was going to abandon her for him. Once she realized I wasn't she was OK. But as soon as I brought Hilo out on my hand, she started squeaking incessantly until I acknowledged her.

I also have to use different 'phrases' for things with Hilo or Opi will get jealous. I don't ask Hilo if he want's "a head scratch" cuz Opi will react, so Hilo knows that "want love?" means head scratch and it works out just fine. I'm sure they'll eventually figure it out, but for now it keeps them both happy.

Have fun with your baby!
Things seem to be getting a lot better :) Eventually they won't be together because I am moving out and my mom is gonna keep Niblet. So they won't have the whole jealously issue anymore but today was actually a good day so far :) Sometimes Niblet is a little snotty lol. Doesn't want scratches, doesn't want to step up or play with me, and that's fine, just things to work on, but today he stepped up twice, no problem it was really awesome, so maybe he isn't as mad at me now, even Spootchies stepped up onto my finger without trying to take a nip at me first lol. A good morning :) Thank you to everyone for all the help and advice :)

McSizzle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mike
Things seem to be getting a lot better :) Eventually they won't be together because I am moving out and my mom is gonna keep Niblet. So they won't have the whole jealously issue anymore but today was actually a good day so far :) Sometimes Niblet is a little snotty lol. Doesn't want scratches, doesn't want to step up or play with me, and that's fine, just things to work on, but today he stepped up twice, no problem it was really awesome, so maybe he isn't as mad at me now, even Spootchies stepped up onto my finger without trying to take a nip at me first lol. A good morning :) Thank you to everyone for all the help and advice :)
Excited for you! Birds are like addicts... one step at a time. one DAY at a time. :)