• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pending Adoption After Home Visit

LovieLuvr

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Hey everyone!

I'm so excited to announce that I will soon be a brand new tiel mommy to this little guy! His name is Peatree and he is in need of being rehomed by his owner due to an unfortunate situation. Peatree's current mom is loves him so very much, and I could tell this process is extremely hard for her...we both cried :sad11:. She's coming over on Sunday for a home visit and to meet us in person before we decide to complete the adoption.

Since I am new to tiels I figured that I would announce this to my AA family and reach out for some advice. I've been doing a lot of research on tiels over the past month, but I'd like to know some of your experiences. The one thing that makes me nervous about tiels is night frights :unsure1:...I've only had lovebirds, and Stitch has been diagnosed with idiopathic epilepsy...so I'm hoping night frights aren't worse than that. Since Lilo's passing I've been wanting to adopt another fid...but was just waiting for the right opportunity, and now I think I've found it. :heart:

10599478_767359653325891_2462921928643456255_n.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He is adorable! Congratulations! The best advise I can give is to ask his old mom lots of questions and initially try to keep his routine, etc. the same as his old until he is comfortable in his new home. Does she cover him at night or not? What time does he go to sleep? Get up? What food does he eat? etc. Are you getting his old cage too? That will probably help. And for now, keep the same cage set up. All of this should help him feel more comfortable sooner and then you can start doing your own changes.

As for night frights, my tiel has only had one once in the three years we've had him. Some tiels are more prone to them than others. I always keep a night light on for him. That helps. And just make sure that wherever you place his cage that there isn't anything that might startle him at night- like headlights from a car through a window, etc.

I'm sure you and your new little tiel will be very happy together. :D

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bless you for taking him in and giving him a good home. He is a cutie. I agree with Sunnysmom. You need to figure out what his likes and dislikes are, whether he is covered at night or not, and a night light is helpful. I live in a neighborhood that has extensive street lighting so Bella is not in total darkness. Bella has only had one night fright since I've had her and unfortunately I caused it with sleepwalking. I agree with keeping the same cage setup and food. You can always introduce new foods later. Also tiels and lovebirds may not get along so they should have separate out of cage time at first. It may take a while for him to want to leave the cage. Just keep talking to him and letting him know he is safe. When I first got Bella, she first wanted to be near me, then after a while on me, and now she owns me. Tiels are clowns and you will laugh a lot with him and he will whistle and may talk. Good luck with your new baby and let us know how he is settling in. :dance4:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Adorable tiel! Congrats! I agree with Michelle and Theresa...they have both given you helpful advice. I have had one tiel that seemed to be more prone to night frights but he seemed to grow out of them as he got older. I use a night light in the room my tiels sleep in. Their cage is also covered. Peatree is probably more prone to having a night fright in the first few days in your home as he adjusts to new sights and surroundings. my tiels had the most frights right after I moved and they were in a new place...

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
What a pretty baby!!

We have tiels (well my daughter really), and night flights have only really been a problem with lots of movement or activity around their cages at night. If they are in a quiet room, separate from evening activities and commotion, chances are he will be fine. If he does experience night frights, then you might want to consider covering him partially (think of how birds sleep in tree tops, so putting a blanket over the top creates that canopy type effect, but still not pitch black with below having some light). Hope that makes sense!!!

Keep us posted, look forward to hearing how he settles in :0) Congrats by the way!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Gorgeous tiel! Is he confirmed male?

There's a lot of methods in trying to prevent night frights in tiels. You may want to do a search for previous threads to get an idea! :)

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Gorgeous tiel! Is he confirmed male?

There's a lot of methods in trying to prevent night frights in tiels. You may want to do a search for previous threads to get an idea! :)
The owner said he was a male, although I asked if she had him DNA tested and she said no. So if "he" ends up a "she," it wouldn't be the first time it happened to me. I'm a little nervous because we didn't end up having a home visit on Sunday because the other potential adoptees for her second bird cancelled the visit. So we have rescheduled it to a video conference home visit. She still plans on bringing him to us this week, but I have to be patient. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I can't wait to meet our little guy.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The tiel looks to be a whiteface pearl pied, posibly cinnamon too. He's got some funny looking feathers in the photo.

I hope the video conference goes well!

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
The tiel looks to be a whiteface pearl pied, posibly cinnamon too. He's got some funny looking feathers in the photo.

I hope the video conference goes well!
Thank you! Tiel genetics is new to me....I was finally starting to slightly understand lovebirds! :D That was one of the first things I noticed when I saw his feathers. The current owner told me that a few years ago she adopted Peatree from a family that did not take good care of him. He was almost bald and the feathers he still had were covered in kitchen grease. :( She did a very good job considering he has his feather back.

Clare

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Clare
I hope it all works out and you have your new baby very soon! I hope the current owner is coping ok, it would be very hard to have to rehome your fid - regardless of the situation. :heart:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Aw, he is too cute, and I love his name. :heart: Hope everything goes well with the video conference home visit, I am sure it will though - how exciting that it is getting closer, I can't wait to hear more about him! :dance4: :cheer:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

LiveLaughLove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
Congrats! !!

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Congrats!! will be waiting to hear more about him.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Beautiful bird. My first 'tiel was prone to night frights. A nightlight actually made it worse because anything that cast a shadow on the cage cover would cause her to panic(I'm not saying a nightlight shouldn't be tried). I ended up blocking out the light completely with a thicker cage cover and opaque window shades. It mostly worked. She still had some night frights, but not as many. Sudden sounds and changes of light seem to trigger them. The scary part of night frights is that the bird will flap his wings and end up breaking feathers, sometimes blood feathers, on the cage bars and perches. I have an emergency kit with Kwik Stop in it for bleeding, just in case. I only used it twice, though, in dozens of episodes over a dozen years. If you're lucky, your bird will sleep soundly. My two current 'tiels haven't had any frights in the three years I've had them. I wonder if birds that have a sleep mate are more used to movement and small noises and are therefore less likely to panic in the dark.

Other than that, I have nothing but excellent things to say about cockatiels. I will always have at least one in my home.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping everything goes well today. Can't wait to hear how things are going with you and Peatree. :)