• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ollie's first moult

Ollie Polly

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Hey guys Ollie is going through his first moult! I know he is a little late just like he was in weaning but it's exciting because he will be getting some new feathers. I can't wait until I notice some difference in his feathers. I'm really excited! He has little pin feathers around his head and face for now. I know I need to keep bathing him and it can be stressful so I need to show him lots of love was just wondering what
other tips would you guys reccomend? I also so I need to feed him foods with protein such as eggs, chicken, almonds ect.. How long normally does the first moult take? Appreciate all replies :) Thanks

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Poor guy, but his new feathers will be beautiful! :heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Does he enjoy getting gently rubbed? If he does, you can gently rub the pin feathers. It is impossible for them to reach all of the pin feathers on their head, so in the wild other members of the flock will help. Just remember to go slowly as pin feathers are very sensitive. I would help rub them after a bath as the moisture helps. Also, you know him best. Some birds do not want the help. In those cases I would leave him alone. You would not want him to relate your touch to causing him pain.

Matt

Ollie Polly

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Hey guys Ollie is still molting so I'm guessing this is normal. He is about 10 months do you think he will be molting until he is a year old? I'm currently giving him two baths a week to help with any discomfort and feeding him protein also amongst other foods

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
There will be another big molt around a year old. Molts can take a while...

Ollie Polly

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Great I knew after a year old he is due for another molt can't wait until it's all over and he has new feathers it plays a part on his mood. I know they are made to molt throughout always replacing new feathers too it looks painful especially seeing those big pins