• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zoo Med Avian Calcium

bluethebudgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
Hi! I recently brought my budgie in to get his nails trimmed when I found out he seems to be lacking calcium and his nails are actually very brittle. I was shown the Zoo Med Avian Calcium supplement and immediately bought it. I was wondering if anyone else out there has used this and how they like it and also how frequently this should be given. Based on the directions, I've added 1 tsp to his 5 oz of water. I was originally told to sprinkle some of the calcium powder onto some fruit and veggies for Blue, but because he's so picky the man said it could work in water as well. Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for comments on the product as well as if you could help me to figure out how often I should be giving this to him! :wacky: Thanks so much!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im not sure of calcium deficiency causing brittle nails but I know vit A deficiency causes it. Usually caused by eating mainly seeds and not eating healthy vitamin enriched veggies. If you have concerns on your budgie, you should take him to the vet. :)

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
The only problem with addition to water is that it's hard to tell of your bird is actually getting much. Is there anything soft your bird really loves that you could add it to? When I use supplement liquids I add them to berries, as my guys go nuts for them. But I understand that its very tricky with a picky eater.

bluethebudgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
@Bokkapooh oh okay! I didn't actually know at all about it before, so just repeating what I was told. I actually usually give him "Sun drops" about twice a week which have tons of vitamins in them because of the fact that he rarely eats his veggies. The only things that I can for sure know he'll finish off is his broccoli and I think that's only because it resembles little green seeds :wacky: I think I'm going to have to pick up some of those avi-cakes or nutri-berries as well as getting more creative with how I present his fresh foods to him :arghh:

@VictoriaVague yeah, like I said, he mainly only eats his broccoli :/ I regularly add sun drops to his water and have seen him drink it with it in a couple times, but even still there's not that much getting into his system.

Oh, the troubles of a stubborn feathered friend.

bluethebudgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
I actually looked into that a while back and completely forgot! I should give it a shot, thanks!