• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel problem with foot

rado7rado

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
tito
Hello
Im asking here if someone have such problem.I have 3 hand feeded cockatiels and one of theme have problem with legs.On foot he have like dry skin.(look on picture) and nails are like trimmed but i have not cut nails.And he not let me to touch his foots.Have someone such problem?What could be this?

p.s.: sorry for my bad english

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi. Rub some vitamin E oil, olive oil or A&D ointment on those feeties, makes them pretty and soft.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It appears to me that your bird is overweight and could be suffering from gout or restricted circulation due to that.
If you live somewhere that Avian vets are available, I'd sure take her to the vet.

Don't worry, your English is quite good.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree with gout because of inflammation. Please tell us what you feed this bird. Try to keep perches low and I suggest a low protein diet. If you can get to a vet this bird may need pain medication too. Sorry this is happening. We are not vets so I pray you can find a doctor.

Last edited:

rado7rado

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
tito
Thanks guys for help and advices.Im feed all thre with same food that i buy in pet store(look picture)

And i giwe them fruits and vegetables(apple,banana,carrot,sallat,...).But only thing that they lik is sallat other fruits throw i after few hours away.But i tray ewery day again and again.
Here are three pictures from him.

On second pic he is on right side.
Im trying to find competent vet but meanwhile what you advice me to give him for food.If i try to rub som olive oil on feets is this good or will i make more damage?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you have all dowel perches in the cage? All dowel perches can cause feet problems too. Because they're so uniformly shaped it puts the same pressure points all the time on the bird's feet. Some natural perches, rope perches, etc would be good to add to give them some different things to stand on.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You want to get better perches for your cockatiels and a more rounded healthy diet for yout birds. :) A vet check should also be in order.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If it is gout, and we do not know that yet, here is some info. for you Gout In Pet Birds - Avian Kidney Disease a Dr. would have to draw blood test for uric acid levels first before you can be sure of what is happening.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I might be worried about some sort of mite or fungus. I would expect to see swelling and white bumps if this were gout, but I'm not a vet. I would make sure the cage is very clean and that the bird has clean food and water. I would take it to the vet as soon as you can.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Mites and/or fungus are another possibility. BUT you bird is either retaining fluids or is significantly overweight. Compare the breastbone of the two birds in the second picture. Your bird with the bad feet has her muscle sticking out in front of the keel bone, while the other bird looks fine.

Maybe you could cut down on her carbohydrates (seeds, grains) and increase her greens (lettuce, broccoli, other green/orange vegetables) carbohydrates in excess are terrible for birds and increase the potential for fatty liver, atherosclerosis, and heart disease - and gout.

If you tell us where you live, we can help you find a veterinarian.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Photo of a bird with gout: images.jpg