• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys and perches

Kevin Mc.

Walking the driveway
What does everyone do as far as toys go, do you load the cage or maybe just two large wood toys.

sometimes I feel I put too many in there for them to move around comfortably.

Each cage has two large wood toys, 4-5 foraging toys and 3-4 medium toys.

I also have for each cage, a full length 40" perch, 10" feeding perches (in front of the bowls) 32" rope perch,
pedi-perch, thermo perch & a high wooden roosting perch

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I think it all depends on the birds.
My cages are full of toys, where I see others put one or two in. I like it so they at least can move their tails around without it rubbing against a bunch of things.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
My husband hates it when I put too much in there, I will notice he takes them out! I usually do at least 3 big toys, and change them around daily. Picaso destroyed a huge toy each day, so he just gets a new one every day. Spoiled birdies!

Kevin Mc.

Walking the driveway
Chantilly,

You have beautiful birds, how old is Paco, I have a 6 year old male M2.

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I try to keep a small number of toys in the cage to provide room for moving around. I keep one wood toy, one shredding, and one acrylic. The greys have a bell, the Caique has an atom and the Severe has a swing as well. I used to put a lot in, but noticed which ones liked which type of toy the most and altered what I put in. For example, the Severe had a bell and the Greys had a swing in their cages for almost a year and they never touched them, so I took them out and gave them to ones that appreciated it, ha.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
When I was younger I provided several toys per cage. For my small birds. They were also out for 7hers a day. Even my finches! =D

When I first got into large parrots 9 years ago with Bokka, my first U2. I provided tons of toys in his cage! He got bored easily. He needed lots of variety. Lots and lots!

And so when I added more parrots, I just did what I did for Bokka for them. Lots of toys.

Now, I still provide toys. But not as crazy as I was before. I have two Stainless Steel skewers for Moby. 1 for Moby. 1 for Opa. I have two extra I need to put into cages. And I refill those skewers as needed. They also get a plastic type toys and two foraging toys and a couple other toys.

Mali is the only one I'm buying store made destructable toys for.

My moms M2, I buy toys for too.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
My M2 is surrounded by shreddable toys - mostly cardboard - so that he has something to preen besides his own feathers. My Grey also enjoys having a shreddable toy close to her perches. With the others, it's usually 2 hanging toys, one noisy toy (bell, measuring cups, etc) and one foraging toy (new every day). I find that it's better to switch them out a lot than stuff the cage too much. I also hang 'used' toys on the tops of their cages or on the orbs when I'm rotating stuff around. My macaws tend to chew more out of their cages than in.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends. I usually have 4 to 6 in a cage at a time and rotate out half on a weekly or biweekly basis.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Depends on the fid... For my two big guys I have about 3 medium sized toys in their cages, sometimes less when they destroy them quicker than I can replenish with a new one.
If you think they can't move around very well, try taking one out, play with different layouts etc... If anything you will see how nothing is set in stone with out fids. They will prefer one type of toy for awhile, and once you figure out the perfect cage layout, they decide they prefer another type of toy or material etc.. everything changes :hehe:

@Dotty4 I don't believe I have ever seen a layout for your fids, it must be blinged out with T4W :heart:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My minimum is usually 3 per cage. Often a bell or other stainless steel rattle thing, with a couple other shreadable toys. Plus I just toss in a foraging toy once in a while too. With the exception of my goffins, mine prefer the homemade shreadable foraging toys more than the acrylic type foraging. My goffin's has more toys than anyone in the house. However, she's also more selective about toys than anyone else. She'll play with something today but not tomorrow. But if the right toy isn't in there for her on a given day, she'll snip her feather tips off. I usually have one cement perch, one appropriate sized wood perch and then another perch that is a size smaller than you'd think they need. And/or a simple swing.

Kevin Mc.

Walking the driveway
My U2's favorite thing is to undo all the quick links (I watched her one day, she use her tounge to spin the locking mechanism) when I get home I have to pick up all the toys from the bottom of the cage, find the quick links, reassemble & re-hang all her toys.

I made my M2 a toy out of coins wrappers (pack of like 50 for a buck at the dollar store) he loves it.