• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange smell from food bowl?

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
Hi, everyone. I just bought Birdie some new food and water cups. When I took them out of the packaging, I noticed a faint plastic smell. I was a little worried, but I just set them aside to wash later. That night, I washed them with my regular dish soap and a sponge. The smell didn't go away. I soaked the bowls in soapy water, which helped a little. I even sprayed it with my regular cleaner and with a fruit and veggie spray. These helped marginally, but there's still a faint smell. Should I keep washing them? Should I use something else? Should I just give up?

Here's what they look like:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
leave them sit outside for a day and see if that improves it any.

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
Thanks, you guys. I think I'm going to try @nellysmom's suggestion, and then reassess. It's worrying to me, though, that other people have probably bought and used these bowls...

rifftastic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
paul hayward
Most plastics if I'm right release smells. If its PVC, its more than likely the antioxidant added to stop any degradation on the surface.. Its not toxic to humans but for birds I'm unsure, I'm imagining it's not great because of the respiratory system they have..I think the baking soda idea that was previously mentioned is the best course or the wonderful stainless steel bowls.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
SS is the best. :)
You can clean them and disinfecting without the risk of residues remaining in the material.
And plastic can be poison too.