• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where to acquire ringneck doves?

Cactus

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I'm very interested in softbills - specifically ringneck doves, although diamond doves and mousebirds are also very intriguing, although I know less about them! However, I can't seem to find anywhere nearby that sells or breeds doves. Food and supplies shouldn't be a problem, and from the research I've done doves seem to be a great fit for my lifestyle; I'm just having the hardest time actually finding where to get them. I live in Portland, OR, and I've known people who've had doves, so they have to be around somewhere, don't they? I know that some breeders will ship birds, which I would prefer to avoid because I would like to meet any bird in person before I buy it, and the cost and potential risks of shipping a live animal are a bit too much for me.

For those of you with doves and/or other softbills, how did you get them? If any of you live in or near Portland that would be even better!
:dove:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I would contact Kateri Davis. She owns Davis Lund Aviaries and is located in Oregon. She is very knowledgeable and well respected with regards to softbills. I do not think that she breeds ringneck doves, but she is very well known for her mousebirds. I am sure that she could help you.

Matt

Cactus

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for the link!! I'll be sure to contact her. I'm very tempted to look into mousebirds, but I feel like they are way beyond my level of experience :X

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You are welcome! If you want, you could start a thread about mousebirds. I know that at least one member has one.

Matt