• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Advice for Stunted Cockatiel

Nof

Moving in
Update:

He's up to 35 grams as of this morning, which is still way too small but is an improvement. Feathers are all coming in now though, so his energy might be going to feathers instead of weight. He's also starting to walk around and practice flapping his wings when he's awake.

I got some Avian Enzyme from the store, which seems to be helping his digestion speed up. He's eating more, and more frequently--currently 3.5 mL every 3.5 hours.

I called Lafebers about the formula and talked with a very helpful customer service rep. From their info, it didn't sound as if he had an intolerance to something in the formula. They would have expected diarrhea and other intestinal upsets with that. I confirmed there was no known trouble with the batch of formula I had. The customer service rep did say that occasionally they use Emeraid Omnivore with critical-condition neonates. It's only available to vets, but something to keep in mind if either he takes a turn for the worse (fingers crossed he won't) or idk if someone else can use that. It's "predigested" or something, so it's super easy to digest--it's meant for critically-ill animals.

Nof

Moving in
I was trying to get a video of him "babbling", because it's cute. When he's alone he starts playing with the little toys I put in and exploring the food, and he does a little babbling chirp to himself the entire time (his father is the loudest cockatiel I've ever known and is never quiet if he could possibly be otherwise). But he spotted me and started demanding food. He was right, it was time for him to eat again.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Happy to hear he is doing well!