• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He's here!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So some updates.

He is 100% hawkhead. I did get bit REALLY hard this morning. I've been trying to figure out what may have been the trigger. As he steps right out, then bam! The only thing i can think of is Mopar. He can see him at times down the hallway. Because he was really sweet and playful yesterday. Then I remember that during those times, Mopar was not within a sight line. So maybe? Or maybe he's just a hawkhead and this is what they do. LOL! Like I said before, I only really had experience with one, and he was sick, so he barely moved around. Anyways, I'd really like to try to curb this behavior as best as I can. My boyfriend honestly doesn't take well to animals with a painful bite. So I may be the only one handling him, which I don't think is a good idea. Mopar, on the other hand, is as sweet as can be, and always has been. He has never bitten either of us once in his life. (knock on wood - ha!) It's funny because they all say the hawkhead babies are super sweet, which he definitely can be! :lol:
I find with Target, it's not so much curbing the behaviour as it is recognizing the warning signs and avoiding the bite altogether. Of course, this doesn't always work :roflmao: She does this head hanging thing when she's grumpy and ready to bite, haha. She also bluff-lunges before actually going in for the kill (LOL), so that helps. I think babies in general are very bitey, though.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
:) Thanks for the advice! Note taken! I think I am getting better at reading him, as I was able to put him down right before he wanted to get nippy. I also move his beak off my finger, With a "no". He doesn't really like being by himself on the cage and wants back over immediately. So will ask him to be nice and if he does, he stays. If not, back on the cage. I guess it's like a game, now. But it seems to be working a little. Didn't get bit today!

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Stunning!! :heart: :heart:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness that second pic is just fabulous! :heart:

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
:)

I tried to get one with his crest up, but the camera would focus on the wrong spot. Doh! Eventually I will!

He's such a goof.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just noticed something. Is Maverick a Brazillian hawkhead, or do babies usually get the white in their forehead later?

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Yup! He will get lighter as he grows. It would be pretty awesome if he was the brazilian type, though!

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
So neat, there was someone around me selling one of these but it was expensive $5000 for it! Great looking one though!

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
He is beautiful. <3

Makes my heart ache from the preciousness!!

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is sooo precious! :xflove: Little baby hawkie. Love him! :heart:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutie!

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
Great shots!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:backout: but still :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :lol:

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
It's been almost a month since this little guy came home! He seems ot have adjusted pretty good; he eats almost anything I offer, which is good. I did try to give him some banana, and he was not so sure about that one. :dance4: But that's ok, Mopar doesn't like to not share his absolute favorite food. ;)

He is a very, very, very active bird. Even more so now, which I kind of expected. I had him out with me last night on the computer and he would climb up one arm, around the back of my neck, down the other arm, across my neck in front, and back up the other arm. He did this a few times before finding a sleeve to chew on. Made me laugh! He is also vocalizing more, and has some of the weirdest sounds I've ever heard. :D Never a dull moment, that's for sure! He still likes to test me with the biting. However, it's different, now. I haven't had blood drawn in a few weeks. If he's upset with something, he will clamp down, but not as hard as before. I will then set him on his cage, or away from me, until he calms back down (without immediately leaving). Then ask him to step up, again. Perhaps that is helping? Maybe, maybe not.

He now lets me roll him onto his back, too. He also like to play with fingers. This one, I know I have to be careful with. So far when he's playing, he's never gotten too aggressive, so I'm letting it fly. If he starts to get more clamping force, I will gently grab his beak and move it. He backs off some, then.

He still weighs around 247 grams, so that's good. He can fly very well, even clipped. Unlike Mopar. I guess the 100+ gram weight difference helps in that respect. ;)

We finished his course of antibiotics. He still have sneezing episodes, but no discharge, and no difference in behavior. Some of the gurgling noises and wheezing he had during his first week has subsided. So I think he'll be ok. But I am monitoring him, and may call the vet just to make sure. I have read that some of these upper respiratory infections can take over a month to fully clear their system. I also may be mistaking the "hissing" type noise he makes when he is upset for wheezing? Do any of your hawkheads make a hissing type noise? I guess it's not really a hiss, but IDK how to describe it. I've noticed it when he puffs up and is angry, like at the camera.

So, there's a quick little recap of Maverick's first month here! It's a lot of learning, that's for sure. And here I thought I'd be ok, after owning one earlier this year. What a difference between a healthy bird and a sick bird. (lol... as dumb as that sounds)

Attachments