• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how hard are green aracaris to care for?

Alliah

Moving in
how hard are green aracaris to care for? Really? I would like to know if they are harder then a b&g macaw?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
They are messy, so be prepared to wash the whole cage and surrounding area more often. They should never be clipped. It cripples them. They really need a nice large flight, or a lot of time out of their LARGE cage to fly.
They need FRESH fruit. Either remove and replace it often, or give a smaller amount and feed more when you get home{as long as it's not past dark}
The fruits must be specific types. I can list or link you to where they are listed. On occasion a snip of greens or cooked sweet potato, carrot, is ok. You cannot just fill up a big bowl of fruit and go away for a couple days. They need someone to be there daily to care for them.
They must have low iron pellets only.
I give Mazuri low iron pellets for softbills
Do not clip their nails or trim their beak. They have a much softer foot, and bleed easily if you do. Give them varying sizes and types of perches. No dowels.
Make sure the eyes are clear, and they are in good feather when choosing one. Give plenty of fresh water at all times. They get sticky so will bathe in it often. Make sure there is a bowl big enough for them to get into.
They like to bang toys around. Give them plenty and change them often. Wash them often as well as the perches..and did I mention the cage/flight..it gets nasty. Change paper frequently. It gets very wet.
You need to understand hemochromatosis, aka iron storage disease. Know it well. Feed them wrong and you will make them sick and can possibly shorten their lifespan.
Other than all that, they are fun sweet, and love to get inside your clothes. They love to have beaky rubs. They love to have a hidey place to sleep.
DO NOT let them out with other birds, unless you know for a fact they get along. They can kill smaller birds and will bash them against something to kill them. I let Pico out without any of my other birds.

Last edited:

Alliah

Moving in
ok, so besides a very specific diet , they really just need room to fly?
I just want to make sure they are not the type of animal that is not really for a pet, that is the idea I got when researching them.
I want to make sure that I can give it the best care.
thanks!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I think they make nice pets. Just like any other birds, breeders set the foundation. Jason Crean has wonderful birds.

Alliah

Moving in
thank for all the info! what cage size would they need?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Aracari hop to get place to place so a bigger cage is encouraged. They are the smallest so you do need smaller bar spacing which you can sometimes find in a 36x24.

Alliah

Moving in
thanks for the thread! one more question, can you train them to use a flight suit or leash?
for bringing them outside?
also, I think they cost about $1,800? right?

just need as much info as possible:)

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
The price would be different depending on where you get yours from. It would also be good to have an avian vet picked out that is somewhat knowledgeable about them and their specific dietary needs.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Yes, they learn to use flight suits. Forgot the size I used though.
Are you aware of their sunbathing behavior.

Regarding mess. They eat more fruit. To make sure the fruit is the right size to swallow they first take it up in the tip of their beak and squish the fruit to the right size. If size is ok they don't need to flatten it as much. They do poop colorful poop but I found lories to be far messier as I did some parrots who shoot poop out the bars of the cage. Mine never did that.

Regarding cage. I mentioned that they hopped place to place but don't use their beak to climb like parrots do.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

NO. They need a macaw sized cage. 1" bar spacing or smaller. They need a large enough cage so they can hop at least a few feet. Nothing smaller than 40X30. The bigger the better. 48X36 is better. 4'X5' is awesome, or anything bigger. They would not be happy in the cages you posted.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would not put an aracari in a flight suit. You mean the ones that have a diaper right? :grumpy: One poop and they will be all wet against their feathers.
As far as using a harness, you need a modified one, since they have such a long beak, but essentially a slim torpedo body. They can slip out of an ordinary harness. I believe Tim was working on one, contact him and ask. The Parrot University, llc
I would rather see them taken outside in a safe set up like this pak-o-bird.
Celltei Pak-o-Bird - the high quality light-weight carrier for your birds and parrots

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
ok, so besides a very specific diet , they really just need room to fly?!
That is all you got out of my first post? o_O Please re-read it...a few times..

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
You did ask if they were just birds to look at. They can be very loving. They are interactive. Mine would spend time with me at the computer. She would fly around the room, rest on my arm, have me hand feed her blueberries and hide inside my shirt and nap there. They make the cutest noises as well. If displeased she would whack me with her beak...being small it didn't hurt. I had toys around me to keep her from messing with the computer!

Carol is right about other birds. Aracari can eat very tiny rodents in the wild and to kill them they would grab the animal by the neck and slam them against a hard surface. Mine was out with a caique. The caique went jumping over to see the aracari and was grabbed around the neck. The aracari got out of dodge quick and birds no longer mixed.

Abigail

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't know much about these birds. I'd say the strangest bird I've dealt with was the red-streaked lory I fostered, Phoebe. She was an awesome bird, so fascinating, but had very different care requirements. My advice to you would be to research them like mad. Spend a good amount of time doing so and don't rush into anything. :) Best of luck.