• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rocky's visit with the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
thank you Clueless, i'm going try something becuz this last one was really bloody awful.
:tiel2:and his mom

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@roxynoodle has had a lot of vet visits with her birds. Maybe she has heard of those products I referenced.

I just thought how my skin itches when it's dry and if that is what he is feeling, how can he not pick at it?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
one of my friends is bring some of her grand-son's soxes (toddler size) over either tonight or i'm picking them up tomorrow. meds in and he is eating ok today. this whole thing is frustrating for both of us. he doesn't want to come sit with me for scritches. i ask him to step up and get a nip to the hand. to him i am the meanie and that stinks.
:tiel2: and his mom

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thinking of you and Rocky.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Any news from the professor yet? MSBS has some healx cream... and some sprays.I think Clueless suggested that also...

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
nothing from the professor yet. Other then asking what age this cockatoo (?????) was ? i'm going to call Dr Barb tomorrow. I know she is still dealing with BS from the sub. she lost not one but 2 techs. she regrets ever letting that dude in her office. rocky is on my shoulder and getting scitches right now.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
That must have been some sub! Loss of 2 techs??...more important...happy Rocky is allowing scritches.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
this guy was a real 'winner'. when Rocky started really picking at this i called and talked to the tech ( one of those that left) that works with Avian clients. she knows me and Rocky. she was very sweet and was going to talk to Dr Jerkface about getting Rocky some meds for the wound that was less then 1/4 " long. He told her NO. she explain that i was family member to Dr Barb and that i got family discount. it will still NO! she quit that day. that was the first week of her vacation and she gone for 3 weeks. by the time Dr Barb got back, she had lost another tech and several very good clients. Her practice is a mixed practice (dogs, cats, birds and few large animals). he was total @$$ to one client that breeds very large dogs. he told the lady that if she didn't like how he was handling her mastiff that he bill her double and she could take her business elsewhere. she did. Dr Barb was not happy about this at all. i'll talk to Dr Barb tomorrow.
Rocky is in bed and still muttering to himself.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Sounds like Dr. Barb is in a rural area? Maybe she'd be better off to talk to a vet in a neighboring community and see if she can work some kind of deal in the future to have them cover for her when she gets time off/vacation. Much better to have your clients wait a few days or travel a little further for emergencies than to return home and find them gone. :(

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
no, she is in the cities, like i am when i am at my own place. there are a few farms on the outskirts of Mpls/St Paul. (darn few these days) When she was on vacation in Canada it was both vacation and work. she did some volunteer work for Native Americans in the Yukon Territories. something to do with sled dogs. i didn't get whole thing becuz i was worried about my baby. She love doing that type of work.
Rocky is sleeping soundly and i need to go too.
:tiel2: and his tired mom

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Called Dr Barb this AM. she is going to call the Professor today. Rocky's meds are in and he is sitting quietly on the top of his cage. i got the little kids soxes but i'm not sure how to set this up so the it doesn't scare Rocky to death. he hates anything touching his body period. i'll take a picture of the soxes later.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I remember someone on a forum (not this one) cutting sections of a sock off ... and slipping it over the main part of the body while she clipped their nails...worked better that toweling them...but their wings were also confined...(not real tight) not really sure how this would work with Rocky since you would not want it to cover his wings...only his ouchie...but if it is on his wing - that won't work... :( I like your idea of a vest better...but I don't know how to make one...maybe a flight suit?

any other ideas...anyone??

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
:hug8: :hug8: I hope everything works out soon.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Here are the pictures of the soxes:

Soxes 4 Rocky's ouchie 001.JPG
These are the narrow ones. Not sure, but i think they maybe too tight around his body.

Soxes 4 Rocky's ouchie 002.JPG
these are fatter ones. the one fold under is about the size from Rocky's neck/ shoulders to his vent. i would cut a head neck opening in the gray toe and slit down the back. hem all those cut edges so he can't pick at them and get fibers off of them. put a small snap at the back and the bottom of the slit, double sew it in tightly.
What does anybody think ?

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I would not use a snap - metal - right? would it be too tight - just to use as a one piece "tube" like those tube tops the girls used to wear yrs ago? Maybe cut a slit in the middle - just to relieve some of the pressure??

but like you said - he does not like anything touching his body. :( you know...I had a female tiel yrs ago...when I first got her - she had a terrible clip...when her feathers would start to grow in...she would pick and pick at one in particular- until it was bloody. And she would break the feather every time it started to grow...I took her to the vet and he said that it was obviously bothering her...and it would have to grow to a point where it was not irritating her anymore before she would leave it alone...it seemed like it took FOREVER...but she did eventually leave it alone...I really don't know what the best solution is for your Rocky...maybe just a slight spray (mist) of water or saline when he is picking at it?? One of the soothing sprays that are available? Extra scritches when he is picking at it??

I really feel for him and you...it is so hard when they are uncomfortable or in pain. Any more advice from Dr Barb? maybe some metacam - at night?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
nothing yet from Dr Barb. what is metacam? i have never heard of it. is it prescription or OTC? he picks at it when i'm busy like tonight, i'm working on his vest, guess who picked it open again. he is sitting in his cage after saline wash right now. meds are in for the night. he bite the heck out of my hand too. GRRRRRRRR :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
It is a pain reliever... prescription. it has been prescribed a few times for my birds. Oh Rocky, please quit picking... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.