• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Let's go outside!

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
"So I can sit next to my owner the entire time while she reads" :meh:
I've had this harness for years but upon seeing the hole her head and all has to go through didn't think I'd ever really get it on her. Seeing as she's acquainted with the bird suits from Avian Fashions now I finally dug this out and gave it a try.

Easy to put on.

Pain in the butt to take off. Where the harness slides in the front Nafesh thought I wanted her to step up for a while. We were both merrily confused. She wasn't truly freaked out, just confused.

As far as outside goes, great first impression. Aside from getting it off her, I love the extra length this string gives you and so did Nafesh for what little exploring she did do for the hour and a half today. Having her outside with this on made me feel safe and secure for both of us as well.

I may have to go to the craft store and with similar materials make a leash to fit with Avian Fashions suits that are a little longer in length (not sure I'd feel as safe with lines as long as the ones from Avian Fashions but I'd like to give her a leash with a few feet of length to explore).

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
nice picture!
i also find taking the harness off the most difficult part.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Nafesh looks beautiful and happy in her harness.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I hope she enjoys time outside ...I have never seen a tiel (other than pics) with a harness on - until last week when I went to a bird fair...and I have been thinking about it since :rolleyes: ...I have 4 tiels...maybe I can get a harness on one of them??

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I hope she enjoys time outside ...I have never seen a tiel (other than pics) with a harness on - until last week when I went to a bird fair...and I have been thinking about it since :rolleyes: ...I have 4 tiels...maybe I can get a harness on one of them??
My tiel is amazing, though she hisses she's never actually bit into me since I've had her. Such a sweetheart. Getting it on isn't that hard, getting it off requires a bit more patience. Nafesh was already trained to wear a Bird suit (diaper) earlier this yr and I think this makes it easier as a transition step to getting these harness on smaller sized birds. The harness is great for the extra leash length, I will be using it again.

Now with Rainbow, none of this would happen. It depends on the bird, and a bit on how you train them. Nafesh just looked and played with her harness for the first couple weeks, then I went from there. She's not overly 'joyous' about getting it on, but enjoys it when it's already on and she gets to explore about more often.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Is that an aviator harness? size? I think the petite is recommended for tiels...I am very fascinated with the idea of a harness but yet so afraid :nervous:

My tiel who would enjoy it the most, I think...is my most hands off tiel...I would get bit much trying to put it on him...my female, I think would be the easiest...

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Is that an aviator harness? size? I think the petite is recommended for tiels...I am very fascinated with the idea of a harness but yet so afraid :nervous:

My tiel who would enjoy it the most, I think...is my most hands off tiel...I would get bit much trying to put it on him...my female, I think would be the easiest...
It's a Petite Black Aviator Harness. Aviator harness kits actually come with a DVD that will give you some pretty good advice as well.

Avian Fashions has medium sized bird diapers that are easier to put on and can be worn for a few hours. If you travel a lot, these are great. For outside only purposes, Aviator Harnesses I think are more practical.

Now I really want to get a pink Aviator Harness...

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Wow cute pictures of everyone's birds. I've got an aviator harness for Bella but I've been afraid to try it. Maybe now I will! Thanks guys! :)