• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macadamia nuts, I found some super cheap!

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I found someone local that's said they are home grown and pesticide free. They are selling them for $5 for 1-4lbs, $4 for 4-9lbs and $3 for 10lbs! I'm going to buy some tomorrow and hope the Babalu will start to eat them. I got some raw out if shell ones the other day and he hasn't eaten them yet :cautious:. When I get my BTM, s/he should eat them right?

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
I found someone local that's said they are home grown and pesticide free. They are selling them for $5 for 1-4lbs, $4 for 4-9lbs and $3 for 10lbs! I'm going to buy some tomorrow and hope the Babalu will start to eat them. I got some raw out if shell ones the other day and he hasn't eaten them yet :cautious:. When I get my BTM, s/he should eat them right?
I can't speak for all BTMs but Zoe thinks she's a princess. She won't crack any nut she deams too tough, even almonds. If she thinks it requires too much effort she drops it for another one. However, I've never tried giving her an in shell macadamia nut. She'll eat them shelled.

Last edited:

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have read that they are extremely tough to crack, I will probably have to buy a cracker or try a hammer?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Like Zoe, Michael finds that nuts like walnuts and macadamias are better used as noise makers than a snack. If I take a nut cracker and start the walnuts for him, then he will usually finish cracking it and eat the nut. I am hoping that he will eventually do it on his own.

Matt

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
At the parrot show lady's place the Hys were the only ones capable of easily cracking macadamias, everybody else (including a GW) needed some assistance.