• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Stress from moving

Disenchanted

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Briana
Sorry in advance for the long post.

My family has been in the process of selling our house so I had to bring my Green Cheek Conure, Desi, to a friend's house to watch him for a little. Desi has always been so sweet and has been watched by several different friends who always say he was so sweet and well-behaved. However, this time when we left him with someone for 2 weeks he became extremely aggressive towards my friend, wouldn't step up and would attack his hand when giving him food. We ended up having to come get him because my friend couldn't take his constant screaming (He doesn't scream that much at home). Then we took him home and after about a week of biting and screaming he was back to his old self. I brought him to another friend who had watched him before, and he was sweet for a few days and then did the same thing! He became aggressive and so loud that her neighbors were complaining. He was there for about a month and while he calmed down a little, he was still very moody and would bite randomly for no reason (which he rarely ever did to me). Now my baby is finally home with me and he is stepping up fine but is very nippy and doesn't seem to want to be held by me (flies back to his cage). Today we will be moving him to our new apartment a few hours away. Do you think that maybe the reason he's been acting up is because he's stressed from moving from place to place and having to adjust to different environments? I wish it didn't have to be this way but I have no control over my situation. Is there anyway I can gain his trust back and get him to be my sweet little bird again? He's been acting like a completely different bird and I miss my baby :(

I should also note that both friends who watched him had their own birds in the same room as him, and he tends to be very territorial.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
you will just have to give him time to settle back in. you will need to try not to stress as they can be stressed from your stress. A day at a time and getting back to your normal routine will help. How old is he?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
yes, it certainly could be a cause of behavior changes.
If he has hit maturity/ hormones in the meantime that could also be a cause, I know many birds go thru an especially nippy phase, I think GCCs are one.
Once he settles into the old routine and you are also less stressed things should improve.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh yes, GCC's are nippers. I think it is their most favorite response to things most of the time.

Disenchanted

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Briana
Thanks for the replies everyone! Yes I know green cheeks are nippers haha, I'm used to occasional bites here and there which I don't mind, but he's been unusually aggressive. I figured it must just be stress but it didn't seem normal that he was with my friend for over a month and still hadn't settled in. He's with me now so hopefully he settles in soon.