• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Off to the vet for maintenance on Molly :)

Jennifer Kiser

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Kiser
This should be interesting Molly has woken up in a cranky bitey mood this morning :wideyed:. Normally Molly is very good for our vet never offers to bite is very well behaved. Does not fuss or fight during beak and nail trim, our vet loves Molly :heart: gets all excited when Molly comes in :D. The last time she did Molly's beak Molly was really good and when it was over and Molly was back on my shoulder Molly looked at her and called her a name :jawdrop1:. Yeah never a dull moment with Molly Q Pickle :hehe: the vet just asked what Molly had said and when I told her she laughed and said she did not blame Molly if someone did to her what she did to Molly she would call them a name too. Wish me luck :lol:we have a little over an hours drive to get there and Molly will be in the hated carrier that's not gonna help the crankiness level any :sour:.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck!!! :) be good, Molly!

Ninjatoine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Antoine
I'm dreading my first vet visit it seems Sheldon's quite attached to only me for the moment even with socialization. I'm his third owner, any advice for me?

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Good Luck! Let us know how it goes!

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Good luck. Wonder what the name was and where she learnt it. LOL

Jennifer Kiser

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Kiser
Antoine I am Molly's 3rd owner. It took a lot of time and patience and work to get Molly to where I could handle him/her without getting bitten. Molly does so much better now allows the vet to hold and trim the beak and nails without fussing or biting. You may be surprised you could take your baby to the vet for a check and he be perfectly behaved Molly was and it blew me away. I find if I remain calm around Molly and cheerful and upbeat Molly remains calm and happy too.

Jennifer Kiser

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Kiser
Lynne LOL the name was dumb@ss and Molly learned it from previous owners along with other bad words :jawdrop1:

Jennifer Kiser

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Kiser
I am so proud of Molly Q Pickle :xflove:. Molly was such a good baby today weight was 142 grams the vet was very pleased no surprise there as Molly eats like a little piggie :D. Molly allowed Dr. Robinson to grind the beak without fuss she said Molly was just a complete love compared to other quakers she has treated in office. When she was done this time Molly got back on me and laughed and was saying hi hi he's a good boy, good bird :hehe:. Dr. Robinson of course agreed :D. Molly was such a charmer they found it adorable how Molly would make the kiss kiss noise and put that cute little head down for kisses. It was a great vet visit and for being so good Molly got a big pack of avi-cakes along with a new bag of harrison's pellets. The vet was able to get Molly's beak shorter than ever before and there was less of those veins that indicate liver issues so she was very happy with me and Molly. I am on cloud 9 right now knowing that all my efforts are paying off.

Jennifer Kiser

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Kiser
Molly's new beak :D. My little pickle was so glad to be back in the cage cuddling toys :lol:oh how I love this sweet little angel of mine :heart: :heart: :heart: GEDC1748.JPG

Jennifer Kiser

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Kiser
This picture was taken 2 days ago so you can see the improvement after the vet visit. Sorry I look so bad I hate having pics taken lol I had a major headache but Molly wanted cuddles so there we are :) GEDC1744.JPG

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Glad the vet visit went so well! :D And hopefully, in time, with a good diet and supplements, Molly's beak will correct itself so no more trims are required!

As far as the carrier, it sounds like you need to do some training there?

Jennifer Kiser

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Kiser
Hi Monica :) I think the problem with the carrier is it is dark and Molly can't see much out of it. I am working on leaving it out in Molly's sight and I put a favorite treat in front of it and inside now hoping to get Molly to check it out and stop hating it. I would love to get one of those acrylic see through bird carriers one day for Molly i think Molly would like that better than the cat carrier because Molly would be able to see everything around him/her. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If that's the issue, why not use a small cage with a large door then?

Jennifer Kiser

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Kiser
had not thought of that. I used to have a vet cage when I previously had tiels that was medium sized and had a large drop down door. When I lost my tiels I was determined I would not own another bird (Yeah right) and i gave the extra cages plus my large cage on stand etc. away. I may have to look into that again and see about getting another.

Figment

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I ended up purchasing this one for Tiki from MSBS:

I liked it because it has a hard plastic bottom so it is sturdy like a standard pet carrier, but the wire mesh top provides good visibility. I was able to tie a toy onto the side using leather rope, but I still need to work on getting a perch in there. Tiki was able to climb on the sides and door (she actually clung to the door and napped on the trip home from the breeder). It also allowed her to see the cats in the waiting room at the vet's office. :confused: But so far I haven't had a problem getting her to go inside and once she's settled in, I think she likes it. Maybe this would be a good option for Molly? He/she is so adorable!! What a sweet little face! :)

tarad

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracey
I always use a small bird cage with a large door when I take my lovebirds, cockatiels or my Quaker to the vet. That way I can put a rope perch in there which is good for them to hang onto while riding in the car. I cover the back side of the cage with a towel so they feel a little safer. :)