• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Time Has Come!

Abigail

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
So... the time has come at last... I'm 99% sure I'll finally be bringing home a grey.

Let's just say, I am overwhelmed with emotions.

For those of you who don't know, I was forced to rehome my congo grey, Alex, a few years back. I had purchased him as a baby, spent months and months saving for him, finally brought him home, handfed him myself. I don't feel comfortable sharing why I had to rehome him, as it's quite personal. But I'm constantly hurting over it, even to this day. I thought I had placed him in a wonderful home. The new owner seemed to really love him and promised me she'd keep in contact and update me all the time. Unfortunately, this owner needed to sell him shortly after. I don't judge people for having to rehome animals. She had gotten a divorce and didn't have much of a choice. As much as I wanted him to have a permanent home with her, I understood. However, when I couldn't cough up the cash for him right away (I will add, she was demanding $250 more for him than she had paid me) she sold him on to someone else. She refused to tell me who, give me their information or give them my information, claiming "she doesn't have to" and then when I began to get upset she threatened to call the police on me for "harassment". It was overall traumatic. I don't have any clue where Alex is, who he's with and I've had no luck in my search for the owners. It stinks, it really does, but there's nothing I can really do about it now except pray every day that he's living his life in a happy home with a family that truly loves him.

Enough about Alex, though. Meet Digby.

I used to work at a wonderful specialty bird/parrot store in my area. (That was about a year ago.) And although I don't work there anymore, I still visit from time to time and shop there. I'm friends with the family that owns it, so I chat with them and the other employees while I'm there. I hadn't been there in quite some time, so today, I happened to be called off work and so I happened to decide to go there to visit. I was very close to not going, mind you! I get there, visit with the birds and talk to the employees and owner. I mentioned I may be looking to add a larger bird to my home again. The owner told me that a guy who used to work there when I worked there recently broke up with his boyfriend. Since they had been living together, my ex-coworker moved out of that house. His ex-boyfriend has had their african grey (Digby) and the owner told me that the ex-boyfriend was looking for a new home for Digby. He hasn't posted ads or anything for Digby as he doesn't want just anybody taking him. She gave me his number just in case I was interested.

I got in contact with him a few hours ago. We chatted on the phone for a very long time, we really got along! I told him all about what happened with Alex, and how I had been wanting another grey for a very long time but I haven't run into the right opportunity, etc. Then he told me all about Digby.

Digby has just turned 3. He was purchased as a baby from the store I used to work at with his ex. Apparently, he's a really awesome, sweet bird, but because of the lack of attention recently due to the break up and him going back to school and working 8 hours a day, etc., he has begun to pluck and become more reserved. He wants Digby to go to a home that can provide more attention. He also plans on moving into a smaller apartment sometime soon, and won't be able to have Digby there. He's very nervous about rehoming Digby, but after our 20-30 minute conversation, he said he really trusted me taking Digby and would feel comfortable giving him to me. He is also not asking a rehoming fee of any kind, he just wants a good home. I also promised him to keep in contact, send updates, etc., as I know how it feels to lose a bird completely and would never want that for him, or anybody. If for some reason it didn't work out, Digby would be returned to him.

The craziest part about all of this is we are pretty sure that Digby and Alex are brothers. We bought them as babies at the same time from the same place. How insane is that?! Wow...

I'm honestly just amazed at all of this. I didn't even know of Digby this morning, and because I happened to be called off work and visit the bird store instead, I think I've now found my new baby. This one won't be going anywhere. Just after hearing about him and seeing pictures, he's got a place in my heart. I can't help it! I know he may be a challenge, he will need some working with. But I'm ready to dedicate all the time and patience in the world for him.

I will be visiting Digby on Saturday most likely, possibly sooner. As long as nothing crazy happens, he will be coming home with me in 2-3 weeks. I can't even begin to express my excitement, my amazement, my shock... Something about this whole situation just feels right. It just really feels like it's meant to be. :)

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I know you had a grey before but may be some of the other grey owners here will have some suggestions for Digby, esp about the plucking. Hope things work out for both of you! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope things work out and so sorry about Alex. What an awful situation to go through.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You won't say why you were forced to rehomed the other bird. What makes you think that won't happen again?

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
First and foremost, congratulations on your addition. It takes a large heart to welcome home a plucking bird. Make sure you quarantine him before introducing him to the rest of your flock. How large is your flock up to now? I remember reading about your goffin's, two new budgies, and...I think I'm missing others (?)
Secondly, you don't have to share the reason why you rehomed. We all just hope that for whatever reason the rehome happened the first time, that you will not put Digby or other birds in that cycle -- that your number one priorities are your current birds.
Anyways, best of luck. I hope to read about Digby's progress.

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
He looks great despite the feather picking. Hopefully being within a flock will help him come back out of his shell. He's also so young, so hopefully you will earn his trust sooner rather than later.

Good luck with your meeting :)

Abigail

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Well, I wouldn't bring him home if I thought that I couldn't keep him. And I don't feel I owe anybody any explanation on here. Thanks for the concern though, he'll have a very happy home with me. In fact I just went shopping for him and will be posting pics soon!