• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Panama amazon

chelle

Moving in
Real Name
chelle
I just bought a Panama Amazon parrot. I have done some research but would love to exchange email addresses with someone who is well experienced with birds....especially Erwin's breed.....If anyone has the time to help me I would greatly appreciate it

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I :heart: amazons.....there are many of us!

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I own an Amazon, not a panama one and am fairly new. But I think @melissasparrots has pretty good knowledge of amazons and hopefully other people will come along. There is also an Amazon section to this forum that you may want to check out.

chelle

Moving in
Real Name
chelle
This is the first site I have joined for forum purposes...looked through and everyone seems helpful and nice...my concern is all hazards I consider everyday necessities. ..eg, candles and non stick cookware...I have found that my rachael ray is safe as long as it's not heated above 500 degrees...But scents...I love for my house to smell good. .. candles from party lite and bath and body works are my favorite. ...I hear these are a HUGE NONO.... What could safe alternatives be?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Good thoughts.....

I got rid of all my Teflon. I have stainless steel now and a ceramic coated non stick skillet. Make sure all is PTFE and PFOA free.

No candles that are scented. If you want smell good stuff, think natural. Cinnamon sticks simmered, orange peels, that sort of stuff. There are threads about that too.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
You will rapidly find the necessity is your new buddy! :) :hug8:

chelle

Moving in
Real Name
chelle
Many years ago I went to a pretty shop where there was a mccaw, we clicked immediately but I could not afford the 1,000 price tag. ...a few days ago I went to the local pet shop and there was a Panama amazon. ... He talked to me, seemed to be drawn to me over other visitors. ..I asked to hold him, he bit me as I went to put him back, I told him, bad erwin, you don't bite your momma, as I dripped blood across the store others were amazed I was silk interested. ... But each time I walked to the cage he came to the door and yelled Erwin at me. ... Maybe I'm just hoping he likes me. .. But I still loved that as he talked. ... it was to me, even when it was others talking to him. ...I have had 3 other birds in my life time. ...A rescue Blue Jay, a disabled bird, and a Cockatiel.... all much different than Erwin. ... my plans are to hang bird swings in my living room and bed room with toys hanging from and around each. ... Any help is, like I said, Sooooooo, much appreciated

chelle

Moving in
Real Name
chelle
Someone said natural oils on an information hunt I went on reading different sites. ... Does this mean lavender oil on a warmer is ok? I'm burning the last of my candles this week before he comes home. ...

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Many years ago I went to a pretty shop where there was a mccaw, we clicked immediately but I could not afford the 1,000 price tag. ...a few days ago I went to the local pet shop and there was a Panama amazon. ... He talked to me, seemed to be drawn to me over other visitors. ..I asked to hold him, he bit me as I went to put him back, I told him, bad erwin, you don't bite your momma, as I dripped blood across the store others were amazed I was silk interested. ... But each time I walked to the cage he came to the door and yelled Erwin at me. ... Maybe I'm just hoping he likes me. .. But I still loved that as he talked. ... it was to me, even when it was others talking to him. ...I have had 3 other birds in my life time. ...A rescue Blue Jay, a disabled bird, and a Cockatiel.... all much different than Erwin. ... my plans are to hang bird swings in my living room and bed room with toys hanging from and around each. ... Any help is, like I said, Sooooooo, much appreciated
I'm not much for bites...i have really sensitive skin...so a couple of things I learned before Lucy (Lucille when she's in trouble for biting) if you see they're going to chomp on you move the hand they're perched on before the actually bite so the have to focus on balancing and won't bite. Or snap your fingers with opposite hand and they'll lose their focus so no bite.
I've only met one panama amazon and she goes crazy for dark haired women and starts screaming. She is sooo loud it's insane! But she's beautiful and fat in comparison to my tiny little green cheek.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Someone said natural oils on an information hunt I went on reading different sites. ... Does this mean lavender oil on a warmer is ok? I'm burning the last of my candles this week before he comes home. ...
I personally don't take the chance. I've read about their lungs (out maybe heard during a seminar?) and how they can't just breathe stuff out. They hold what they breathe as it recycles through their system....

chelle

Moving in
Real Name
chelle
So basically we're all gonna get fatter cause my only air freshener will be home made apple pies and banana bread baking lol...What about fruit veg and meat...I read small amounts because of their size it can cause diarrhea. ..and stay away from avocado. ..Any diet tips?

chelle

Moving in
Real Name
chelle
I'm trying to get everything perfectly down before he comes home....I want him to have a great, safe home. ..I know it's annoying answering all my stuff but I'd rather talk to bird owners than have 6 conflicting stories on correct bird living and none of them be appropriate o_O

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a panama Amazon (see avatar! :) ). There are actually many amazons that are thought to be Panamas but that really aren't Panamas. Most are hybrids. There are subtleties that experienced pan am owners can help you differentiate whether or not he/she's a pan am. I myself sought out the advice of someone extremely knowledgable (Captain) with Pan Ams in order to help me discern if Harley was a Pan Am or not.

With that being said, it doesn't really matter as long as it's the right bird for you! :D Read and learn as much as you possibly can before you bring your new baby home. It's great that you've joined a reputable forum with so many seasoned bird owners. This forum is worth its weight in gold!

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have a panama Amazon (see avatar! :) ). There are actually many amazons that are thought to be Panamas but that really aren't Panamas. Most are hybrids. There are subtleties that experienced pan am owners can help you differentiate whether or not he/she's a pan am. I myself sought out the advice of someone extremely knowledgable (Captain) with Pan Ams in order to help me discern if Harley was a Pan Am or not.

With that being said, it doesn't really matter as long as it's the right bird for you! :D Read and learn as much as you possibly can before you bring your new baby home. It's great that you've joined a reputable forum with so many seasoned bird owners. This forum is worth its weight in gold!
omg! The "panama" amazon I was talking about does not look like yours...and it's fat!
:eek:
I'm glad you shared the amazon tidbit!

chelle

Moving in
Real Name
chelle
I did see that it is commonly mistaken...i have researched and found Erwin is truly a Panama Amazon...i see they are usually very friendly...The pet store lady said they usually only like 1 or 2 family members but online research did not support this comment... Erwin does however seem to not like men....But takes to my daughter and i on each visit....I've read they are becoming extinct and very hard to come by... it seems unusual for them to sell as cheaply as i found Erwin if they are becoming so rare though.... ( 6 years old paying 500)

chelle

Moving in
Real Name
chelle
I will try to get pictures tomorrow when i go see him...From what i read he needs 4 hours outside of his cage a day at least...I expected to wait longer to pick him up to make sure i was bird ready house wise but am concerned,especially now that he is"sold" that he won't be out of his cage at all

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
No avocado, no chocolate.

Check out the threads on here about chop.

I feed zupreem and roudybush pellets and supplement with chop.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
it seems unusual for them to sell as cheaply as i found Erwin if they are becoming so rare though.... ( 6 years old paying 500)
Yes, that's pretty cheap for a Pan Am. Do you have any pictures of him?

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a panama Amazon (see avatar! :) ). There are actually many amazons that are thought to be Panamas but that really aren't Panamas. Most are hybrids. There are subtleties that experienced pan am owners can help you differentiate whether or not he/she's a pan am.
Hmm, from what I've read Panamas have a lighter horn colored beak that lacks the orange spots of a yellow crown.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Actually not always.