• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Mac contusion

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
Earlier tonight Zoe flew into a dresser mirror. She acted like she was fine, but just now I saw this. It could be because of something else, but I don't what. Looks like a little cut and some swelling. Should I do anything to treat? Obviously I'll be keeping a close eye on it and if it looks worse we'll head to the vet.

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
I'm so sorry that happened. I don't have any experience with parrot injuries so I won't be of any help. Just wanted you to know I hope Zoe is okay. :hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Do you have any cayenne pepper? You can make a paste and put it on it, it will help with the swelling and has antibacterial properties to it also

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
Yep, we do. Thanks for the suggestion!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
she is a cutie and hopefully the swelling will go down soon

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awww, Maui had a pretty bad bruise in that same area from a fall. It looked worse the next day but it did heal in a week or two. Keep a close eye and if you are near your vet tomorrow maybe get some metacam for pain. It's a painful area for them. :(

:hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ow, poor baby, like was mentioned, keep am eye on it, and some softer foods wouldn't hurt either :hug8:cover the mirror when shes out too. :hug8:

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
I'm off tomorrow so I'll give the vets office a call and see if I can pick some up.

And I baked sweet potatoes tonight for her. Guess that will work for tomorrow.

She's normally not in the bedroom (where the mirror is) but she wanted me and I wanted to change, so I took her with me. Something startled her and that's when she hit it. In the livingroom she's always been a great flyer.

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Facial skin is very soft and can bruise easily. Just keep an eye on the area and will heal up quickly.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Max has had a few face contusions and bumps, they seem to disappear almost overnight! ! I've used turmeric and vinegar for a safe topical treatment of bumps and bruises. I made up a poultice kinda paste. Was messy but seemed to help. If zoe is not acting like she's in pain and eating, it's a growing pain.... kids get bumps and ouchies! :)

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
Nope, she never squawked and never slowed down one iota. Didn't notice it until my partner came home and I went to hand her to "mommy" and she wanted to know what I had done to her bird. I, of course, felt terrible that it had happened and that I didn't even notice until then.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Tell mommy she's just got a tough girl :) we've had moments where there is a drop of blood abs we do human and bird body checks!!! Can never say they are cry babies, too busy looking for other trouble!! I am happy to hear she's showing no distress signs, so only worry is for it to heal clean. And know you'll make sure that happens :D

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Sorry she got an owie...love the cuddle photo. Shes darling!

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
They pepper worked. By the following day the swelling was down. Within a couple days the bruise went away. Thanks everyone for the help and well wishes.