• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To ship or not to ship

dunnsfarm

Moving in
Alright everyone. Please don't ridicule me for asking this question. I'm only looking for honest opinions.

I have always been against having a baby shipped for numerous reasons....from the difficulty on the baby to the fact that I won't meet the baby before he/she comes home.

BUT....I'm really struggling finding one. I'm willing to wait on eggs.....a baby not old enough. But right now there aren't any that I'm finding. And I have been looking and talking to numerous places/people...in many states.

Soooooo. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places. However, this has started to get me thinking and wondering about shipping from a reputable breeder....after a phone interview and references of course.

What are your opinions? I know it is completely different than being able to go visit your baby as it grows (probably not going to be an option for me). I also know it is not the same as meeting my baby before bringing him/her home.

So, with that in mind, do any of you have any food for thought. I am still not for shipping....but I am starting to ponder the thought.

Once again, please don't ridicule me. I am merely asking. :heart:

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
I don't see why this is even a question. Why would shipping from a reputable breeder be bad? That's assuming you're not opposed to buying baby birds.

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
I've been picked by a baby, bought from a local breeder with a closed aviary and have also shipped from Ontario to Alberta, Canada. Long term, the delivery did not impact the relationship that developed. While I did appreciate meeting my first bird, in retrospect I appreciate the safety and care of a closed aviary for the protection of the babies. A reputable breeder knows how to ship safely and the airline we used took excellent care.

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
My newest addition, a young budgie was shipped to me. He came to me after the 2 hour flight happy as could be, chomping away at the millet they provided him.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is very safe to do and will not harm your baby. If you are in the US, you would have to check with the breeder and the airline that will be used due to the extreme heat this time of year in parts of the country.

Matt

dunnsfarm

Moving in
Thank you all for your feedback. I did decide to search farther for a breeder. Very excited as I might be getting my new baby in the near future. Thank you all for your feedback!!!!

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Reputable breeders will not ship when the weather is too hot or too cold. I only have one bird I got from a breeder and he was older and I did not meet him first, I did not have him shipped because she lived only about a 3 hour drive away but I know someone in CA who got a bird from her and he arrived just fine

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
If the bird is a distance plane flights are shorter and birds do fine. I have had 4 birds and 1 dog shipped without any problems.

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I too was torn between waiting for a bird to become available locally and shipping from another province. In the end I went with shipping over and don't regret my decision.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to meet the babies and get to pick out the one whose personality I liked the most, but a good breeder should be willing to work with you to find the bird whose personality best suits your household/lifestyle.

Best of luck and keep us updated.