• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weird poo? And clogged nostrils

Sophiebaby06

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Victoria
I'm not sure what normal poo looks like so I've been getting nervous. Also his nose looks clogged I think. I plan on bringing him to the vet, I was just wondering what others thought. Thank you!! This forum has been wonderful answering my noobie questions!

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The poop pic is a little hard for me to see but from what I can see it looks normal. It should have three parts- the feces, which is typically green, urine which is clear and the urates should be white. And no odor to it. And not bubbly. If his nose looks clogged you can try misting him. Sometimes they do get bits of seeds etc stuck but it usually works it's way out. From the pic, I can't see anything. However, if your bird hasn't been vet checked since you've gotten him, a vet check for a new bird is always a good idea or whenever you're in doubt.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poo looks normal, but when in doubt, get him checked. As for the nostrils, tiels get dust in there, I take a moist Q tip and gently clean my birds mares, they tolerate it. :joyful:

Gambitlover

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tinni
The poop looks normal. Better check him out at the Vet's though. Be safe than sorry. :geek:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
His poop looks normal to me also. and his nose doesn't look too bad also...maybe just some dust or seed hulls...as long as you are taking him to the vet - ask questions. :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
The pop looks ok. You can try misting him or giving him a shower to help unclog the nostrils.

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
I work at a vet and they are prone to getting clogged nares we usually just take a dental pick to them and clean it out. You will be amazed how much comes out. But like I said it is very common to get plugged nares.

C.J.'s mom

Checking out the neighborhood
HI, :) How much is the average cost to clean out nostrils? thanks.

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
Always a good idea to have the vet look anyway; while the poop looks normal, a gram stain is the only way to be sure there's nothing abnormal about the droppings. I would not try to stick anything in the nares unless you're comfortable doing so... if you feel you can do it, good, but since it's a newer bird he may not tolerate the sensation and fidget.

Hope everything's OK