• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What seed mixes do you feed your budgie/cockatiel/grass keets

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I'm just curious to see what other people are feeding their guys. I think seeds are really beneficial to the budgie/cockatiel diet, and I feed them seeds and pellets.

The brand my guys get is the Hagan's Living World Premium Cockatiel Food. It contains the typical seed mix, but also has dried fruit and veggies, legumes, grains and tropican pellets. I mix into this roudybush crumbles. My guys have never been sick, and are at healthy weights. Their feathers seem bright and beautiful.

What brand do you feed your small birds?

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have 4 tiels and a lovebird...I find they like a parakeet mix over a tiel mix...they like the small seeds. I buy a couple mixes of parakeet seed from MSBS - Higgins supreme parakeet seed, Higgins small fruit and veggie mix. They also like some of the Goldenfeast blends...petite hookbill, Australian Blend, Conure Blend. Pellets are harder to get them to eat - but I have the most success with Zupreem natural. One of my tiels likes the fruit flavored pellets but only picks out certain colors - mostly the green. And they also like sprouts.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I feed a finch and budgie mix as a base seed mix [mix myself] and sometimes add pellets. Sage loves Vetafarm pellets, so she has a little bowl with them. My Cockatiels outside also love Vetafarm pellets too! I may have also seen the Bourkes eating the pellets out there too.

The Kakarikis are too messy to try pellets on but I do sometimes add pellets to their sprout mix. I think pellets would be more of a toy for a Kakariki :shifty: Something to take on-board MAF :)

I add sunflower seeds myself but only a small amount.

We don't have any of those seed mixes you guys in the US/Canada have :(

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
I use Higgins Supreme Parakeet Seed for my budgies and tiels. It's a very clean mix with no vitamins, colored pieces, etc. added. I then mix pellets with the seed at a 50/50 ratio and feed that as their dry mix.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have keets or tiels, so not sure if my post counts, haha. But I currently feed my birds Versele-Laga Loro Parque mix -- mostly the African Parakeet with a tiny bit of African Parrot mixed in (I like the variety in the African Parrot, but it has an appalling amount of sunflower seeds in it). It's quite expensive and not very common though. I'm also a bit tired of having it shipped in from Quebec all the time (free shipping does not exist in Canada, lol), so am currently looking for a more affordable and local option.

African Parakeet is a nice, simple mix of white/yellow/red/Japanese millet, canary grass seed, safflower seed, hemp seed, wheat, oats, paddy rice, flaxseed and buckwheat -- all still in hull. I'm having a difficult time finding a similar mix that has all these ingredients still in hull -- most mixes have hulled grains instead, which we don't like as much. It also has tiny pellets that my birds actually eat, because they are shaped like millet and they can't tell the difference, LOL. No coloured bits. For cockatiels and keets, this is pretty much the perfect seed mix.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Volkmans Parakeet seeds and a few of the Goldenfeast blends are what I feed my two little English.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Right now I'm feeding Avian Organic cockatiel (which doesn't have any sunflower seeds) mixed with Higgins cockatiel (which I think has too many sunflower seeds). It's about 3 pounds of the Avian Organic mixed with about a pound of Higgins.

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
I use Hagens gourmet budgie seed for my Linnie :)

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I like the same Higgins mixes that Steve and Cecilia do for my budgies - Small Fruit & Veg mix and Supreme Parakeet. Sometimes I'll give them Volkman's or Higgins Vita Parakeet instead if they haven't been as good about eating their pellets (Roudybush Nibles), which are in a separate bowl. My cockatiel gets it as a treat too, but my linnies get the same treat mix I give my conure, which is Higgins Mayan Harvest Yucatan.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I like the same Higgins mixes that Steve and Cecilia do for my budgies - Small Fruit & Veg mix and Supreme Parakeet. Sometimes I'll give them Volkman's or Higgins Vita Parakeet instead if they haven't been as good about eating their pellets (Roudybush Nibles), which are in a separate bowl. My cockatiel gets it as a treat too, but my linnies get the same treat mix I give my conure, which is Higgins Mayan Harvest Yucatan.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
I've fed Goldenfeast blends and currently a mix of my own concoction - Volkmans parakeet, Higgins fruit & veggie small, TB Herb Salad, various seasonings turmeric, cayenne, chia seeds wheat grass powder etc.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Kaylor of Colorado Sweet Harvest Cockatiel or Budgie seeds mixed with Goldenfeast Petite Hookbill Legume or Australian Blend

And I do feed Nutriberries to two birds here.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Cockatiels base mix is Bird Paradise Bulk Blend 13 and the budgies get some of that along with ABBA 1600. Then TOPs pellets / crumplets.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Volkmans Parakeet seeds seeems to be a nice blend. Curious about Higgins but comes in 50 lb bags.

Yeah my gal nibbled on her first greens arugula & romaine. Likes arugula!

:dance4:

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Guys, envy how much variety of seeds you have!

I've to make my own mix. I cant even get to find different types of millet. I've been looking everywhere and the only one i know that sells is a guy that lives 1500kms away from home, yay! I may order some soon.

My mix has: 50% canary seed, 40% millet (the common one) 10% chia, oat, flax.

I've three problems though: one of my budgies basically feeds on oats, no one will ever touch flax seeds, and they don't seem to touch chia. So yeah, if anyone has any suggestion on how can i make them eat those seeds and on how to stop Cedron being an oat junky, i will appreciate the help xD.

I also feed them quinoa daily. And no pellets saldy. Budgies wouldn't eat it anyways