• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent non urgent-just got bird and her toes are falling off

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I took off her bandage and she has lost her last toe. I am so upset that this has happened to her. She has a forever home but I am still unsure of the best way to make her life great, but I will do my best

She will be fine. Several of Scooty's toes were bitten off by her Mom as a baby and she still gets around fine and doesn't let it stop her. Sometimes she has an occasional slip since she is missing toes. There are lots of posts of cages for special needs babies her on AA.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
She is adorable!

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
What a beautiful girl you have

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Scheri, atleast she lose a toe and not the entire foot!! I've heard stories of blind birds living a healty and happy life, i'm sure Jenny will adapt, just give her some time and a lot of love :).

I am really happy she is safe now, please keep us updated on how she developes, but i'm quite sure she'll adapt just fine.

:hug8:

Caza66

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
Aww bless, she is lovely and what a shame you had to go through this. But it sounds like it was a good job that you are now her parront.

ConureTiel

Avenue Veteran
She is so pretty and what a sweet expression.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
just beautiful :heart:

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
She will get around fine, I'm sure. My Allie (RIP) had a deformed foot and an almost normal foot. She could climb and hop and all that good stuff, but she couldn't fly because she was very arthritic. She got around fine even though she couldn't really grip. We used lots of thick rope perches and platforms for her and she amazed us. Your bird has one normal foot, flying ability, and a weak grip (but still present) in the other foot. Take it from Allie, Jenny will be fine!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a pretty bird! :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I wonder If its possible to sue this breeder? Have you reported her?

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Such a cutie! Glad to know she is going to be okay and she has such a great home to care for her!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
What a cutie! :heart: I'm glad she is doing ok and seems to be able to perch on her injured foot. Not sure if you took the bandage off just for the pic but she may still need it for awhile until it completely heals so she doesn't pick at the scabs. :hug8:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor sweet little girl! I am so glad she ended up with you! That breeder should be ashamed of herself.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If a one legged cockatiel can "step up", so can your baby! :)

She is gorgeous, and she can most definitely learn to cope with some missing toes!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yep, I figured toes would still probably die off but your main concern would be that infection does not set in. I too, was concerned by the title of your topic because I instantly thought that toes falling off is serious ... no doubt the breeder told you it was okay... grrrr!!! Anyway, you did well by posting about your Jenny's problem. Did this breeder even give you a big discount on your bird due to the fact that the bird had this problem? If she/he is ignoring you then yes, the person is not honest or a concerned compassion of their baby birds.

I use to breed Pionus and I've had a few parents along the way bite off toes and even wing tips of a baby but they've always done well afterwards.