• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A tough choice :(

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
I really don't know If I can keep Maui, my little Linnie. Although I've done tons of research and planning and preparation,I just don't think its going to work out :( I don't have all that much time to try and hand tame her, I'm returning to college in the fall,while battling severe clinical depression. Life at home isn't great, my dad is always in a bad mood and we don't get along. My mom and sister are fine, but neither of them are "bird people" although they think Maui is cute. I am very sad because I don't want to have to sell her, but she's young and I figure maybe she would settle in easier with a person with more bird experience. I don't know of I would be doing the right thing, I've only had her for 2 weeks...

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
If you've done tons of research and planning, then why make such a hasty decision to rehome her after only 2 weeks? Maybe this is just a low moment for you and things will look better tomorrow. If you and your Dad aren't getting along, I could see a cute little bird being the bright spot of your day. Just give her time to settle in and spend time with her without forcing yourself on her. She can be out while you are in your room doing homework. She will get used to you and be more comfortable with you in time. Don't give up on her, please.

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Definitely give it some time. A lot can change in a month or two. It took a few months with my eclectus to get him to realize I was trustworthy! And, she can still be a wonderful companion even if she isn't hand tame.

Did you have the expectation that she would be hand tame or that it wouldn't take long to tame her?

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
I agree, two weeks isn't very long at all. Birds can be very flighty and cautious and take a while to tame, but it's also very possible to give her a great life without her being 100% hand tame and still be able to enjoy her company. I've found people who have battled depression have cited their pets as their reasons for pulling through it because they give them a reason to get up and go, to do things and to take care of them, and of course they repay you with their unconditional sweetness and love. Whether that love is shown in cuddles and scritches or a happy peep each time they see you arrive home is up to the bird, but they know how to get that message through to you.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Maybe you guys are right, and no, I know birds can take months to get use to you. I helped a friend slowly hand tame her canary and that took 5 months, so I'm not rushing it or anything. Its more about her than it is me. I just feel bad for her because she's a sweetie, and I don't want to see her sad or bored.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
If you are worried about her being bored then rotate lots of toys for her. There are ways to make sure they are entertained while you are busy. In a couple months her favorite activity could be hanging out with you while you are doing homework. Ya never know!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree, two weeks isn't very long at all. Birds can be very flighty and cautious and take a while to tame, but it's also very possible to give her a great life without her being 100% hand tame and still be able to enjoy her company. I've found people who have battled depression have cited their pets as their reasons for pulling through it because they give them a reason to get up and go, to do things and to take care of them, and of course they repay you with their unconditional sweetness and love. Whether that love is shown in cuddles and scritches or a happy peep each time they see you arrive home is up to the bird, but they know how to get that message through to you.
:iagree: There are days I only stick around because of my birds.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Thank you guys for your help, I guess today is just a low day :( She does make me smile,as does my dog, Zoey, she is a goofball :)

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Depression is difficult....I hope it eases up on you some.

:hug8:

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Thank you, and yes, very :( its been 2 and a half years now, but I'm glad I have my pets :)

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm .. are you going away from home to college? If so, then I'm going to give you different advice, and that's to find her a good home sooner rather than later. Doesn't sound like your home is conducive to having a bird if you're not there.

If you're going locally, then definitely give it some time, but if you're not feeling it, if there's no connection or you don't want the bother/responsibility, then I'd still find her a place that will be better for her in the long run.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
I am going to school locally, but I guess 2 weeks is too soon to tell really, she's only beginning to settle in, so I will give it some time.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Having had severe clinical depression for almost 5 years (to the point of being almost non-functional), I can say without a doubt that my birds are one of the main reasons I'm still here. I also get bouts of very low self-esteem when I don't feel like a good owner and perhaps they'll be better in a different home. But that is the depression speaking and every time I snap out of those "moods," I realize how very wrong that kind of thinking is and that I would've regretted it for the rest of my life had I acted on it. Depression is a terrible illness but we mustn't let it rule our lives or force us to make wrong decisions. Hang in there.
:hug8:

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Unfortunately, I've given it more time, we just aren't bonding, and I don't feel any connection with her, don't get me wrong, she's adorable, but things don't look so good, and Ive got next to no time for her, between school and more school, and im super stressed because its chemistry and Im having a hard time. She gets out of her cage, we have to chase and catch her and pick her back up, she hates it, my dad doesn't really want her on the floor, and he gets mad when she gets out, and its just making things worse. She does have special locks on her cage now,but I'm afraid that the damage has been done.

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I pray you find her a great home. Hopefully someone of AA would like a sweet little Linnie. How about some photos of her.

Also are you selling? Giving? Cage included?

Let us all know the particulars about what you want.

School is a very tough time to be adding any type of pet. Hopefully in the future you'll be more ready.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
I'm not sure, to me a good home matters more than money, but yes, her cage would be included, I'll add more pictures of her later, I have to charge my camera.

I don't think I'll ever get another bird, I'll stick to scaly or furry creatures from now on, but thank you :) I wont be getting any new pets any time soon, I've got too much on my plate.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
If this thread could be deleted or locked, that would be great :) I've decided I'm keeping my Maui, and this thread isn't needed anymore :)

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I'm so glad that you decided to keep Maui. It sounds like you are under a great deal of stress, especially with school (chemistry yuck!) but I'm glad that things are working out for you and Maui. She is one beautiful bird! :dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Yes, I mainly feel guilty when I can't train with her as much as I'd like to. I only have 1 bird, so she doesn't have any other companionship but me.

Caza66

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
:dance4: Glad she is staying with you. You obviously care for her. I hope things work out ok for you both