• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who else has a starling?

Graphite91

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Graphite is eating on his own!!!! I put a strawberry in his food bowl on top of his food, and he went to town. Ate the whole bowl by himself!!! He didn't cry at all today, and lately he had been SCREAMING all day and flinging himself against the sides of his cage :( Today he seemed content and happy, and tweeted some pretty songs and played with his toys. I am a proud mama!!! :heart:

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Nick and I discussed contacting a wildlife sanctuary to see if they had starlings since they're considered a pest in Texas, but opted to hold off since we both had other dream birds. No matter how many videos I see, their ability to mimic speech always blows me away.

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
He started saying Hi Jimmy every time i came in the room. I think he was maybe six months old. He now says Good morning pretty bird but says that in my cockatiels voice. Cute as can be. I think if I spent more one on one time with him there's no limit to what he would say. He's a sponge. Repeats all the other birds perfectly.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Mazuri insectivore diet. It's little pellets. I also dive him meal worms and fresh veggies and fruit (chop).

Just this week I started adding some of the food I feed my chickens to the insectivore diet. I still do not feel fully confident about his food.

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
The soaked dog food just didn't work for me because I work and I didn't want to leave wet food in the cage all day. Plus it is stinky. :)

Graphite91

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Graphite is doing good! Health-wise he is perfect, but attitude is another thing all together! He is apparently going through bird puberty, because he is being a brat. He used to jump right onto my finger, now he flies away from my hands as if they were going to eat him! What a turd... He thinks making me chase him all over the room when it's time to go back into his cage is the most fun thing ever. Also, he still loves landing on your head, and will do this when you least expect it :rolleyes: :lol:

Yet I love him so!

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
For such small birds they seem to have amazing confidence. Jimmy does not seem to realize he is the smallest in the bird room and his beak is no match for the others. He sort of runs the show. :) It's admirable. If he gets on another bird's nerves they just chase him off. He can be kind of annoying. He likes to jump in every bird's water dish as soon as I change the water. He bathes in every dish..even when I put ice in the water. Silly bird.

Parrot Examiner

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Beth Ralston
This happens here as well but with the cats dish. I actually provide him with his own bath tub nit that he cares lol

Graphite91

Moving in
Real Name
Rachel
Hey guys!!! I started a group on facebook for people who have starlings as pets, or just love them. I'm trying to get more people to join so it can become a good resource, so please join!

The group: Facebook

And here is my turdbird now, in his favorite spot:

Parrot Examiner

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Beth Ralston
Figment isn't getting spots yet:(. He's been having some problems lately that seem to affect him pretty badly. :(

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
helo everyone, i'm Rabb.D just got started on this forum, i purchased a hill mynah last month, shop owner said he/she is at least about 8 to 9 months old, can't tell the sex, but definitely not mature, as its still small and hasn't grown the lustre black coat, just started hand feeding through the cage today, in the process of taming, might take some time before i hand feed it inside the cage as of right now its not safe to let it(spotty) out, been feeding it local pellet food and has grown a liking for grapes, though keen on trying some cheese later on, been to the grocery store but couldn't find proper food except bananas which i haven't tried as of yet, hasn't learned to talk, and makes a lot of noise, but strangely enough spotty's sweet enough to keep his voice down when i'm napping in the afternoon, been keeping spotty in my room nearby just to get it really accustomed to me.

tagging cost rm10 license for a year cost rm100 and bird cost rm350 all in all with cage and food spent about rm750 not really that bad for a student budget african greys here cost 1.5k

while i'm making progress with the taming only time will tell. :)

Last edited:

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
issue for me is that the cage is too small maybe 2feet by 4 feet, but it helps with the taming, just waiting for the holidays in malaysia to start so i can start looking around for better cages, plan to let it out when spotty's prepared and also when i'm ready.