• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Three major breakthroughs in one day! (video attached)

Darci & Shadow

Moving in
I am so proud of my birdy! Today she mastered one trick, started to learn another and finally stepped up from her cage to my arm. This progress is so exciting. The person I bought her from said he was selling her because he didn't have the time for her, but then his mom said they needed room to buy a baby CAG and I can't help but be glad they overlooked how amazing she is - because I sure don't.

for those who took on a bird who wasn't a baby what were your first weeks like?

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
Both my Grey Girls I got when they were a year or older..and the first weeks were great! Charlie immediately would cuddle and kiss me..pretty much velcroed herself to me and hasn't let go since day 1. Bella was also great from the get go but a little more reserved--still very easily handled and started talking immediately. She sings "get down get down WOOO"! It's now the theme song for both of them. I have a bunch of YouTube videos of them and their antics.
This is one of my favorites of Bella being silly

Darci & Shadow

Moving in
she's precious! It's amazing how individual they are and just like people some click with us better than others.

maybe we could start the first all-female african grey funk choir.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I got Babalu when he was 2. The first few weeks were not that good, probably because of me. I only had cockatiels and parakeets when I was a kid, so I knew nothing about bigger birds. The rescue told me the toxic food list and not to use candles and nonstick and that was it. The owner typed up 2 pages of things about him which was nice. I do remember when we went outside after a day or 2, he would talk his head off! We would stand out by the window and listen to him whistle and talk, we would laugh and try and figure out what he was saying. When we came in he would stop. Then he would talk when I ran the vacuum. My husband scared him really bad by putting a glove on to try and hold him :(. Those are the memories that come to mind when I first got my grey. I joined a grey forum and the learning began and never stopped!

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I got my Grey almost 2 years ago, he had flown away from his previous home and was never claimed so he needed a home :) We don't know how old he was but due to the fact that he didn't know any words, and could only copy a few sounds, we guessed he was quite young! The first few weeks were difficult, as he was quite aggressive, but with weeks and months of patience he is now a friendly, lovable chap! He likes just about everyone and is very sociable. He's definitely my baby, although he isn't too attached, which I'm happy about because I know he will do well in anyone else's care if I have to go away for short periods. Although my family has said that he is very quiet when I'm not here, and only starts "burbling" again when I get home ;)

I'm so glad you are enjoying your pretty Grey girl, and that she is learning quickly :D Its such an awesome feeling when all your hard work pays off :dance4:Lots of :hug8:to you and Shadow!!! :heart:

Darci & Shadow

Moving in
Last night she let me pick her up from her cage on my arm but when I tried today she lunged at me. Is there a trick or do I just keep trying? It doesn't help that I pull back but I don't show her any other reaction. Pulling back is instinctual. I don't know if I can train myself not to. I rewarded her when she did. I'm just not sure where to go from here. It's a little disappointing but I don't give up very easily.

I should mention that she will stretch her neck out for a kiss, even when I don't ask so it's obvious she likes interacting with me but is just bring stubborn about coming down off her cage. Treats didn't help either