• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Parrot Wizard's Newest Video

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't watch his videos (it just feeds his ego).
...and his bank account. What people fail to realize is that he isn't sharing all this "wonderful" training for free out of the goodness of his heart. I'm unsure of the exact ins and outs of it, but when you reach a certain number of views and/or subscribers YouTube pays you for your content. Some of the uber popular channels, there's some ladies from Japan and quite a few gamers in this category, are literally millionaires because of the sheer number of views and subscribers they have.

Now, I'm working on assumptions and guesses here and could be way off base, but my guess is Mr. Sazhin saw a niche market that wasn't cornered (unlike the dog training world) and decided this would be a way for him to get rich! He crafted a pretty slick image for himself, got a cute bird to do some cutesy tricks and started selling his product in the hopes of building himself an empire. After all the other, well respected parrot trainers weren't real tech savvy, weren't putting themselves out there in the digital age and therefore weren't marketing their brand to its fullest. That left the door wide open for someone with a slick package and gimmicks galore to capitalize. In steps Sazhin and "The Parrot Wizard" is born.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
...and his bank account. What people fail to realize is that he isn't sharing all this "wonderful" training for free out of the goodness of his heart. I'm unsure of the exact ins and outs of it, but when you reach a certain number of views and/or subscribers YouTube pays you for your content. Some of the uber popular channels, there's some ladies from Japan and quite a few gamers in this category, are literally millionaires because of the sheer number of views and subscribers they have.

Yup, some of my videos make me money. It's minimal unless you have views like he does, he is definitely making bank on it!

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I liked his first videos and examples but now, FORGET IT! .....

I certainly wouldn't be standing behind a camera knowing 2 of mine would go at it. Even bought his book, can u say SUCKER?

I feel exactly the same way.
I enjoyed watching his first vids. Then came vids that started make me wonder if what he was doing was mostly because he wanted to be a 'bird guru', to be famous.
I too don't like how he holds his birds by the neck. No matter what he says about it is not going to convince me that this is the correct way to hold a bird. If he was supporting bird's body with the other hand, then I'd be ok with it.
I also believe, as someone mentioned already, that he is starving his birds before he trains them. :(

I bought his book, but after watching his recent vids, I put this book away for now.

He is not a person to me anymore I'd seek an advice from re: bird training.

I was briefly on his forum and FB.

I once commented on his vid (his birds at the vet being microchipped) and I know what I said was correct and right, but neither Mr Michael nor his 'blind' followers wanted to admit that what I said was true.
It is only when you praise him for what he does is noticed and appreciated by others.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Remember that the HSUS is an animal RIGHTS organization, not animal welfare. If they had their way you would not have your pet birds, dogs, cats, etc. Be careful with your sources.
Yes, tread lightly here... also, you have to watch how these organizations put together their propaganda. You can edit anything, and how you edit something can COMPLETELY change the message. It's very much like politics and how things can be taken out of context and skewed.

Personally, I don't believe anything the HSUS or PETA releases, as they are extreme, evil, and hypocritical. Also well known for making things up, and reusing footage from years and years ago to smear anyone they target.

As for this Parrot Wizard guy, I think you all hit the nail on the head. He started out with good intentions, then started doing things for fame and $$$$.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Pretty crazy. Sad thing is... I only know a few of the list. Guess I don't watch youtube enough. Or care too. lol

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
An interesting article. I don't recognize the top YT people but have been watching YT a lot lately.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
How much can you make off Youtube subscribers and viewers?

Maybe I need a new job.
I bought his book because of his you tube videos ... Advertising ... And heard about him on AA .. Easy free (I think) advertising.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Terrible idea. I had a Meyers who used to attack all my other birds, even through their cages. I finally stopped letting him out.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Terrible idea. I had a Meyers who used to attack all my other birds, even through their cages. I finally stopped letting him out.
That sounds like my two meyers. Can't turn my back on them for a second and have to carefully plan separated out times. so naughty

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
I cannot find it now, but there is also a video of him picking up his Senegal by the neck, to prove her trust in him. In other words, to prove that he can. It's like nuclear weapons... Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Daniel2711

Checking out the neighborhood
Being a follower of Michael and a member on his forum, I disagree with what is said in this topic. So, Truman flew away. He made a mistake, and he learned his lesson! I also presume he doesn't attempt to stop the fight is because this may reinforce the behavior. Many people are uncomfortable holding their birds by the neck, but the only thing that matters is if the bird itself is comfortable or not. Please do reply if you do think otherwise

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Being a follower of Michael and a member on his forum, I disagree with what is said in this topic. So, Truman flew away. He made a mistake, and he learned his lesson! I also presume he doesn't attempt to stop the fight is because this may reinforce the behavior. Many people are uncomfortable holding their birds by the neck, but the only thing that matters is if the bird itself is comfortable or not. Please do reply if you do think otherwise
Daniel, do you really think it's ok to allow two or more birds to interact that could cause serious harm to one another? (and I'm talking about *all* of his birds here!) What if his greenwing, Santina, were to bite Truman? Would Truman be lucky enough to survive with a broken beak, wing or foot? Or might Truman lose his life, his skull crushed in, or his entire head decapitated?

Charlie, my mitred conure, is missing half of his lower beak, because he decided to bully a blind ruby macaw. He had to go through *TWO* surgeries to get to how he is now. He now requires beak trims for the rest of his life. This injury occurred when he was 12 years old and he's 21 now.

I lost a bourke parakeet because she escaped from her cage and gotten into my, then, conures space. Noel (conure), at the time, didn't care for any birds besides Casey, a tiel, so was upset when a little bird had invaded his area. The bourke lost probably around 3/4 of her upper beak and died the next day. Unfortunately for myself, I don't have access to an emergency avian vet so by the time I could have taken her somewhere, it was too late. This isn't her, but this is her daughter.

Casey, my tiel, also got herself into some trouble, but I don't know if another bird bit her toe or if she snagged her nail on something. I had left the room for only a few minutes and when I got back, found her like that! She ended up losing the nail where you see the most blood.

C1.jpg C2.jpg

I can only assume that another bird bit her toe, because a couple days prior, another bird had a bleeding toe! I made her a makeshift collar at home since my vet at the time didn't have a collar small enough for budgies.

I remember a story from years ago (11+ years ago) of a nanday conure, Zorro, and an umbrella cockatoo who had gotten along fine for years, then one day the umbrella just snapped. The umbrella attacked Zorro and crushed his skull in. Surprisingly, he survived, but he had permanent damage to his skull on both sides and damage to one eye. (can't recall if he kept the eye or lost it)

Found where it was mentioned.

What Michael could do, and he should do, is to teach his birds to station and ignore each other, otherwise someday he might end up with a seriously injured bird, or worse!

Training a Bird to Station & Its Importance | Lara Joseph

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Daniel, do you really think it's ok to allow two or more birds to interact that could cause serious harm to one another? (and I'm talking about *all* of his birds here!) What if his greenwing, Santina, were to bite Truman? Would Truman be lucky enough to survive with a broken beak, wing or foot? Or might Truman lose his life, his skull crushed in, or his entire head decapitated?

Charlie, my mitred conure, is missing half of his lower beak, because he decided to bully a blind ruby macaw. He had to go through *TWO* surgeries to get to how he is now. He now requires beak trims for the rest of his life. This injury occurred when he was 12 years old and he's 21 now.

I lost a bourke parakeet because she escaped from her cage and gotten into my, then, conures space. Noel (conure), at the time, didn't care for any birds besides Casey, a tiel, so was upset when a little bird had invaded his area. The bourke lost probably around 3/4 of her upper beak and died the next day. Unfortunately for myself, I don't have access to an emergency avian vet so by the time I could have taken her somewhere, it was too late. This isn't her, but this is her daughter.

Casey, my tiel, also got herself into some trouble, but I don't know if another bird bit her toe or if she snagged her nail on something. I had left the room for only a few minutes and when I got back, found her like that! She ended up losing the nail where you see the most blood.

View attachment 199954 View attachment 199955

I can only assume that another bird bit her toe, because a couple days prior, another bird had a bleeding toe! I made her a makeshift collar at home since my vet at the time didn't have a collar small enough for budgies.

I remember a story from years ago (11+ years ago) of a nanday conure, Zorro, and an umbrella cockatoo who had gotten along fine for years, then one day the umbrella just snapped. The umbrella attacked Zorro and crushed his skull in. Surprisingly, he survived, but he had permanent damage to his skull on both sides and damage to one eye. (can't recall if he kept the eye or lost it)

Found where it was mentioned.

What Michael could do, and he should do, is to teach his birds to station and ignore each other, otherwise someday he might end up with a seriously injured bird, or worse!

Training a Bird to Station & Its Importance | Lara Joseph
Very well put.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The guy is sick but he knows how people are curious enough to click on the video and his wallet gets fatter. That said what is being done is similar to dog racing or greyhound racing. :cool:

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Ack! I hate to see a bird being picked up like that! The only time holding a bird's neck or head is warranted is when a vet is doing it in order to perform a procedure on the bird. Other than that, it is completely unacceptable and cruel, IMO.

Watching him recall that Senegal so that it would repeatedly buzz the Macaw was mind blowing. I cannot believe anyone would want to tempt fate like that with the life of an animal. It seems as if he wants the birds to fight. I don't get it. If he were my kid I'd suggest he see a shrink for doing stuff like that.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I honestly think that his problem lies in that he doesn't know how to interact with people. I was on his forum for a while, but left because of the way he treated people (which you know has to be bad if I am offended by it).

He does not know how to take criticism, and when people try to, he ignores them thinking that he knows best.

Before Truman was lost, I commented on one of his free flight videos, and nicely commented that it was dangerous, and by him posting the videos, it will encourage more people to try free flight. He responded and said that he knows what he is doing. A little while later and Truman got loose. And without his fame, I doubt he would of gotten him back.

He needs to be more humble, and instead of self teaching, take some advice from someone who has been in the industry a lot longer and has a much better track record than him.