• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Somebody pushed her too far...

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I had my nieces and nephew over and we made more bird toys.

Then we went in the bird room to play. Rainey my little black-headed caique is super shy. She likes to observe and get to know people. She separates herself from the other birds and hangs out on top doors and cabinets. She will come for treats and if you are gentle and slow she will play.

My niece wanted to hold her and Rainey had been giving all her usual signals that she didn't want to be touched. Trying to get up high, flying away, leaning away, walking away, sitting and staring at you like she doesn't know what you want. I wasn't paying much attention to the kids.

They must have kept trying to get her to step up. The way I heard the story is that my niece asked her brother to get Rainey for her, he stuck her finger out in front of her and she immediately bit him. GOOD FOR HER! :hehe:

So the kids got a nice lesson in birdie body language and what happens when you ignore it. :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: No body got hurt too badly. Just a tiny puncture.

Oh she bite me too! Poor girlie. In my defense I thought she was Bandit when I got bit and that is why I didn't act more slowly.

Either way it was definitely our fault.

So the lesson is don't push your bird too far!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Seems nobody got hurt, which is good. Birds are excellent teachers, aren't they? ;)

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
My dad came in from his workshop once with this gross gash from his hand slipping on one of the machines. It was the right size and shape to be a big chunk of skin torn off from a murderous little green bird.

He jokingly said, "Look what your bird did to me!"

My reply? Not, "Are you okay?" but, "What did you do to him?!"

Sorry dad, Triton comes first. :laughing2:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Yep! That's exactly what I said too. :highfive: