• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Parrot Wizard's Newest Video

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There's a lot of people who don't like Howard Voren, regardless of his knowledge and experience with parrots for years.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I dislike Howard Voren because I dislike bird mills. I cant recall any videos from him. Dont think I'd want to watch any of his videosm

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I don't know the video you speak of. Feeding babies...one may grap at the corners of the beak with a stretch of the head to open up the esophagus to receive food. Birds do stretch up but those babies can quite awkward Babies stretch their neck to parents who guide their beaks and those parents may gently hold the beak raising it up. Looks different than how mammals are fed. Tube feeding though is used by some breeders and that is for speed/convenience. TF should be saved for emergent situations only.

Not all are perfect but nor are they all wrong Read and learn to be able to evaluate I think is the better way. :shy: I think there are days that even Mother Theresa would not pass scrutiny.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I watched the macaw beied over and over. I actually was hoping the macaw would do something to make the little bird stop. I know that sounds mean, but it would teach the bird not to do it again. After watching the video a bit, I was wondering if Michael was out of sight calling the bird and the only way to get to him was to fly over the macaw. To continuously repeat a portion as shown in the video looks mean.
It actually would not teach the little bird anything any more than a person hitting/"doing" something would.

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
There's a lot of people who don't like Howard Voren, regardless of his knowledge and experience with parrots for years.
That is interesting to know. Henpecked gave me the impression Voren should be on a pedestal because of his experience and knowledge. I do not know much about him and did not know his operation was similar to a "mill." :(

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Wow! I had no idea how Voren operated. I should have realized it on my own from the video showing how he hand fed the many different baby birds in the video. Thank you for sharing .

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Remember that the HSUS is an animal RIGHTS organization, not animal welfare. If they had their way you would not have your pet birds, dogs, cats, etc. Be careful with your sources.
Be careful what you wish for also. Understand what the laws really mean!

Kiwi2

Moving in
Real Name
Tricia Bartolucci
Sadly, some people look to him for advice and education since he markets himself as an expert. I can't even watch his stuff because the misinformation frustrates me so much. He doesn't have any idea how much he doesn't know, or how much of what he "teaches" is incorrect or unsafe.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I am interested in learning what he says is incorrect. Would you please give some examples. Sometimes I feel that I am a parrot by repeating things that I learn online but have no actual experience. Of course, one does have to use common sense.

LiL_Caity

Sitting on the front steps
Nobody has pointed this out yet-that video of poor Truman sneaking past Santina to get a drink of water.

Does anyone here have a bird who GULPS water that way?

My greenwing Sebastian did that when I first brought him home. He was starving to death, I rescued him from a very vile man. He would drink drink drink like that. He gained a gram a day for weeks on a healthy diet. Vegetables, pellets, some fruit and few nuts. He stopped gulping water when his weight leveled out.

This is a warning sign of deprivation. You can read this full article and check the sources, but here's an excerpt from page 4 of this article:

Water gorging/ Food related stereotypies
Studies show that rats drink more water when food deprived (8) There is also evidence that
overdrinking can be a stress related behavior. (9) Birds that are food deprived may show
increased drinking of water. (10) Broiler hens that are food restricted and allowed access to ad
lib water can overdrink water. Because of this water can be provided for a few hours per day, but
it can exacerbate the frustration caused by food restriction. (11) Rushen suggests that the
occurrence of adjunctive drinking by sows results from the persistence of feeding motivation,
perhaps because concentrated food does not provide sufficient stomach distension, combined
with the knowledge that food will definitely not be forthcoming. Stereotyped sequences of
behavior may be a means of reducing the arousal generated by the expectation of food. (12)
Birds, especially those known to eat several times a day or throughout day have been observed
water gorging in show settings. Water gorging should be considered an indicator that the feeding
strategies are either inadequate in quantity and/or frequency. This can also result from long term
chronic quantitative restricted feeding.

Watching any videos of Santina really hurts my heart. Her body language is so disorienting; she presents so many different signals from one moment to the next, and the second she has eaten her treat her eyes are pinning and her head is cocking. It's disturbing. He is so lucky she hasn't killed one of his birds. Sebastian has killed at least one smaller parrot and bit the toes off another. The idiot who had him hated him and neglected him out of the resentment he had (a result of HIS carelessness, not Sebastian's fault). He is 35 years old. I know his past, I know I can never risk the lives of my other birds by letting them out in the same room. Sebastian was at one time housed in a small cage with other parrots, he has learned to be aggressive to protect himself and I refuse to risk another bird's safety in order to "re-condition" him. Someone else could have a rescue parrot with an unknown past and take a huge risk because they saw Michael do it. It won't take long for people to start following Michael's advice and reporting the injuries or deaths subsequent to following his process.

Michael Sazhin is sick. People on his forum who have followed him for years should know better. How can people hear time and time again from so many credible trainers that his practices are wrong, and still refuse to question him? What does he have to do for people to see him for what he is? It seems like a deeper human issue, like "someday he'll appreciate me for standing up for him" and I would bet that many of these people have had troubled family dynamics that make them gravitate towards people like Michael. His approval is the ultimate carrot on a stick and that's what makes people stand up for him. Nobody is as good as him and nobody ever will be. Riiiiight.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This bothers me very much! There have been quite a few experienced people who have noticed alarming behavior. Could someone have a heart to heart talk with him?

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This bothers me very much! There have been quite a few experienced people who have noticed alarming behavior. Could someone have a heart to heart talk with him?

The odds are that when someone calls themselves "The parrot Wizard" and consider themselves an "expert" they won't listen :meh:
I've read some of the sensible comments on his videos and he dismisses them.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
The odds are that when someone calls themselves "The parrot Wizard" and consider themselves an "expert" they won't listen :meh:
I've read some of the sensible comments on his videos and he dismisses them.
I commented on one of his free flight videos on YouTube before he lost Truman, warning him about the risks. He replied, and dismissed my corners. A little while later he ended up losing Truman and decided then it wasn't safe.

LiL_Caity

Sitting on the front steps
I have pleaded with him to consider the advice he gives about weight management for training purposes. On the video where he gets bitten by Santina I looked at the comments and he said to someone that the reason he didn't use a treat for Santina when she was first meeting him was that parrots in shelters are overweight and treats wouldn't do any good anyway.

I privately messaged him about how many shelter parrots have been badly neglected and can certainly be underweight or have terrible associations with a lack of food. I told him how the IAATE conference that was going to take place was featuring several papers on the misuse of weight management, likely because of it's trend as a result of his internet fame. I strongly urged him to go and listen, learn from people who do what he strives to do, be humble and let them take him seriously for suiting up. The thought of people giving the weight/food management a try, the way he instructs in his book, is extremely unsettling to me. The things I have seen people do with bad advice.......I am forever haunted by the average person's application of irresponsible instruction on animal care and training.

He told me that he had been working with rescue parrots for years. Ignored everything else I said. Wrote me off. The delusions in his brain far exceed what I had imagined. If playing with Ginger's rescue senegals every once in a while is "working with rescue parrots for years", then you can call me an alligator wrestler from the time I spent kayaking in Florida.

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I can't help but wonder if he's aware of this thread.

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I've written him off completely. I don't watch his videos (it just feeds his ego), I don't click links that route to his sites, and I don't buy anything that gives him any sort of profit. He strikes me as a borderline sociopath just based on interactions with his birds, comments he makes on forums/videos, and his overinflated ego.

I can't help but wonder if he's aware of this thread.
He probably Googles himself on a regular basis to help inflate that ego just a bit more.