• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Kelly the YN!

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Kelly my new and final addition.... He is a big 33 year old male yellow naped. He has been on a seed diet all his life and in a smoking family. He looks really good for being in those conditions but he is still slightly over weight and probably has liver issues. What should his diet look like? We want to get a panel done to see just how strict we have to be but what should he eat less of after being on seed so long? He doesn't show any of the common signs so it can not be that bad...

Some more pics and video :D

Being strangely cuddly...

I am totally in love with this bird :xflove:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a handsome bird. I know milk thistle is supposed to be good for liver issues.

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yeah, a Kelly thread!

@roxynoodle has a Zon names Pete who is 32ish with liver issues. Hopefully, she'll be along and can give some diet tips. She can also give you some insights into what other medical problems you might want to check into.

BirdyGirl

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
Wow! What a complete sweetheart! How long have you had him?

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Thanks!

I got Kelly to eat his first veggie. He has been very anti fresh foods at the shelter so this is progress :joyful:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
WOW! Nice amazon!

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Okay so I just found out that Kelly spent the last twenty years locked in a cage :eek: Apparently his old owner let him on the shoulder and for some reason or other he bit her on the face. So she never took him out again :meh: :banghead:

Anyway on a good note he decided to try goldenobles today :D He has been stubborn about pellets so I took a harder stance today and gave him very little besides pellets. Being a big boy he caved tonight when he realized I wasn't going to cave myself and give him anything else. Should have seen the grudging look he gave me after each piece :lol: He also nibbled on one of the veggie mixes that I dried out so it was crispy and more appealing to him this morning.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Don't be fooled by the videos and pics, the day at shelter that I met him he pinned, splayed tail feathers and ruffled his neck when I walked in the room.... I was impressed he hated me so much to put forth the effort to show all 3 displays of displeasure :) he's not quite so bad these days, but he instantly bluffs up when my husband walks in the room.

But he loves his momma....

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Kelly looks like a sweetie :) Nice to see another YN with only two yellow nape feathers! I'm delighted that he has a forever home at your house with such wonderful attention and a great play area. :heart:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Well, it took 33 years, but Kelly has finally found his own little piece of heaven. That is one happy bird!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That face bite may well have been when the bird was wound up over someone or something else in the room. My worst amazon bites have come from the dog sticking her nose to close, another bird making the bird that was on me mad. Some amazons are very reactive to other people. So, instead of biting the person they really hate, they will bite the person they are on because its quicker. If he loves you, but hates someone else that is around often, be very careful with him when that other person is around. Sometimes its almost a reflexive action. Hated person walks in the room, bird instantly bites the favorite person they are sitting on. Just like that, with not enough warning to get the bird off the shoulder. Or you turn your head to the side when you see the other person walk in so at least they can't get your face but your hand gets it when you try to get him off your shoulder before your face gets bit. Sometimes no matter what you do, your going to take a bite when you have an amazon like that. You easily figure out what the bird's triggers are and learn to avoid them. But until then, if he has a history like that, I'd be a little careful with him. Even though it certainly seems he is in love. Its slightly unusual to have an amazon that snugly. And it seems like its usually older birds. But, as much as they love you, they can have an equally violent reaction if the right trigger is present.

Tough love tends to do the trick with amazons and diet. My older female came to me with a nasty vitamin A deficiency and her owners claimed that despite their best efforts, she would only eat seed. Two weeks later she was eating all the good stuff. I did just what you are doing, restricted the seed and let her have her choice of anything else nutritious. I loaded her bowl with sweet potato, veggies and pellets but no seed except a very little bit at night. 2 days of screaming and pacing and she was converted.

He is a nice looking bird. You might want to monitor the bottoms of his feet. In the video it looks like he has a couple dark spots on the bottom of one foot. That could be the beginnings of a problem.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
I already figured he bit her because of those reasons. Kelly is not a shoulder bird and I don't allow him on my shoulder. He will grab me sometimes if someone is nearby he doesn't like so far he has stopped that behavior since I will put him down on a stand and walk away. He hates when I leave him so he has realized I don't like the behavior but I also realize that when hormones hit he isn't going to be thinking real clear. He has already realized the shoulders are a no go for me and has stopped trying to climb up my arm. I'm working on stick training him because I'm guessing hormone season will not be all that fun with him so attached to me.

His home wasn't the best and they seemed to have no idea what they were really doing. Kelly isn't aggressive but he is a male yellow nape and was hitting the beginning of his maturity when he bit his old owner. She shouldn't of had him on her shoulder in my opinion since males especially can be so unpredictable during that time. Of course I wouldn't put any amazon on my shoulder but that is just my feelings and opinions.

I already noticed the dark spots. Figured 20 years in a cage sitting in the same spot getting fat will do that to you. I'm guessing he already has permanent damage done to his feet. From what I've read the black spots are the ending result not the beginning of problems :huh: He moves slow and very hesitant so I don't think he can feel all that well on the middle of his foot. Sometimes he will grab at something a few times before being sure about moving onto it. He loves standing on flatter surfaces or huge java branches. He also sleeps on a rope perch or the thicker branch with holes in the back of his cage. I think it feels better on his feet. He also has a slight wheeze occasionally from the smoking in his old home nothing horrible but it is there. He has gotten the clear from the avian vet at the rescue. I still want to do a liver panel but he is in fairly good health considering!

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

What a beautiful bird.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sprouted seeds, pellets and fresh foods would probably be the way to go with him, along with milk thistle and some form of vitamin A (Red Palm Oil being a good option)

He does indeed look great for his age! You might be lucky and he might not have any major health issues! :)

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Pellets definitely! The rescue said he was eating pepper Harrison's but he has turned his nose up so far for me. He was grudgingly eating golden obles for me the other day. So for now I'm guessing we are sticking to those. We were just talking about how Kelly would probably like sprouted seeds. Just need to get into the habit again of making those! Used to have some around everyday but have been slacking since the move.

I was thinking of milk thistle and turmeric root or would just one of those be better? I also tend to hand out red raspberry leaf to everyone and I have red clover for Folger and Monster because of their tendency to pluck Folger more then Monster. Would the red clover be helpful for Kelly too?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm only familiar with milk thistle, so I can't comment about the others!

It sounds like he's doing well already! :)

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Monica -

Tor's right, I've been bad, have not done sprouts for the guys... bad me... this will be the kick to get me back in the habit, have plenty of counter space in the kitchen and I literally have a shelf in one cabinet for all the sprouting stuff :) I picked up Mungs at Wegmans too, so really really bad me!!!

We are going to take Kelly in for a full liver panel just to see if things are bad enough that anything shows up. Figure its a few hundred well spent to know if looks are deceiving and we need to be hyper strict with his diet. What for do you feed milk thistle? I've seen the supplements, but where do you get yours, should we be looking for more herbal option? Thanks for your input!! :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
MSBS has the Avitech ones that you can buy, although I've been using Nature's Answer A/F Milk Thistle (Alcohol Free) and buying it through Amazon.com. I usually give it straight into the mouth but have added it to the water a few times.