• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new baby boy

JayByrd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
Hello guys. Well I have a surprising update; today I adopted a new baby budgie to our home. My gf and I ended up going to a local pet shop to get new perches, toys and the like and I ended up looking at the budgies. I seen they had young males, and I must have spent fifteen minutes talking and whistling to them through the glass. (what a spectacle I must have been to other customers..but oh well) I asked a lady who worked there if I could go into the room there, and get to know one closer, because at this point I knew it was time for a new one. I had been planning for a new addition some time now. Anyways as I near the cage from the inside, naturally they spook and flock to another. I spent a few minutes talking to them when this one young male flys right to the cage near me. I talk to him and slowly introduce my hand to the cage, he doesn't fly!! and he makes a noise at me! I look at the gal and tell her 'This is the one!!!" Fast forward we get home, I introduce him to his new cage. Then I approach after a whole 2 minutes, and being speaking to him. he's interested. he's far from hand tame, but already tonight he is not fearful of me. (at least not terribly so) he is learning to perch on my fingers, and he ate millet from my hand. but the step up still provokes a flying response. it takes time, but after awhile he'd let me rub his chest, and he'd step up. that's when I gave him millet and fed him. I introudced him to the females (once he chirped, they went nuts and chirped..) they all got along, but he lives seperatley. newbudgie.jpg newbudgie1.jpg newbudgie.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! He's a cutie. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on your new feathered friend.

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Very handsome little gentleman congratulations! :)

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of the best feelings in the world is when they pick you. Congrats on your new little boy. (Also like that you are keeping him separate from the females.)

Sophie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mary
I was with him when he purchased the bird, he was so excited and it made me happy to see him happy.. I had no clue which one he had picked out since I was down the birdy isle picking out a new perch. When we got home and he unboxed him then I got to see how cute he really was. :laugh:

Congrats on the new Baby boy JayByrd :budgie8: :dance1:

Last edited:

BradG

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Brad
AWWWWWWW :heart:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Congrats :heart:
Sounds like you two are hitting it off!
:dance4:

Nice yellow...does he have a dark blue cere or pink?
barring on head? who old do you think?

I picked mine out because of the spangles & it was a ball of feathers. Took me 2 days & 10 hrs before I choose. Drove the bird store nuts...

:rofl:

She just woke from her nap & is chirping

:hug8:

JayByrd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
Wow! Thanks for all the warm wishes for me and the baby bird. He still has no name. To answer you up there camelotshadow, his cere is a sky blue color. it's not dark dark blue, but he is undoubtedly a boy. The bars on his crown are gone but he still has lots all over his neck, and back of his head. he is also much much smaller then my adult females. I would say he is a few months old. He is a dark yellow/green with grey stripes, has grey flight feathers, and a bright blue tail feather. I've never seen one like him before. Will try to get real good pictures from my sister in laws phone. her phone cam is rad like that. Anyways he is settling in nicely. he is starting to sing in his cage. and he is picking up "step up" already. he just flys after a few minutes. then you gotta be patient again, but he is gonna be an easy easy bird to get fully tame. I will be his flock companion. Now I do have a question. the females live in the same room he does, ddifferent cages. he wont be able to somehow bond with them will he?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'm just guessing but I'm sure the birds communicate. Still if you tame him away from the girls it should better.

I asked about the cere as baby females have blue ceres so its confusing. Mine has white with blue in center so guessing its a female turning from baby blue to white unless of course it gets more blue.

Your keet sounds unique to have all those colors esp blue with yellow green.
It appears yellow in pics

JayByrd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
I had moved the females to a different room today. it did seem that they really distracted by young male. Oh, he does have a name now. his name is Charlie!

Tweeky

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kathleen
Awww he's so cute.

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Oh yeah, budgies are adictive, stores should have a poster or something warning future budgies owner they're addictive. xD

He is beautiful btw, i would love new pics!

JayByrd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
I will be Kind of an update on Charlie. He's still not hand tame. He will step up now, but will almost immediatley fly away. I can still hand feed him millet with him on my finger, but he still seems pretty afraid, and won;t stay perched on my finger much. Does anyone have advice? I really wanna be able to have him on my shoulder, and as a buddy but yeah...I'm still working on him. I heard that you can sometimes just gently grab a budgie, and hold it in your hand and let it bite, and as long as you don't hurt it, it will calm down and learn you won't hurt it. I would go for that technique, but I'd want feedback first. it does make a certain kind sense of to me, but I'm worried it could be bad to..look forward to hearing your replies. and pics will be coming soon!

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He's a cute budgie!

I will be Kind of an update on Charlie. He's still not hand tame. He will step up now, but will almost immediatley fly away. I can still hand feed him millet with him on my finger, but he still seems pretty afraid, and won;t stay perched on my finger much. Does anyone have advice? I really wanna be able to have him on my shoulder, and as a buddy but yeah...I'm still working on him. I heard that you can sometimes just gently grab a budgie, and hold it in your hand and let it bite, and as long as you don't hurt it, it will calm down and learn you won't hurt it. I would go for that technique, but I'd want feedback first. it does make a certain kind sense of to me, but I'm worried it could be bad to..look forward to hearing your replies. and pics will be coming soon!

It takes time to earn trust. Holding him against his will until he "gives up" would be like a bear hugging you as you struggle to free yourself.

Please, keep each experience with him a positive one!

Living With Parrots Cage Free: Bucky and Strider - Millet Eating Fiends!