• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help!

Connievr75

Moving in
I am in desperate need of some advice or suggestions. I have a 6 month old African Grey. We are still working on the weaning process but she is really a momma's girl. Her name is Chica and I've had her since she was 6 weeks old. Not having any experience on hand feeding and weaning a baby parrot I found this website with wonderful knowledgeable members. I am here again needing some help. Chica is a really dependent on me to still hand feed her. I soak pellets and feed them to her mornings and evenings. She likes to sit on my shoulder while eating. So my dilemma is that i will be going on vacation for two weeks and am afraid that she won't eat. My husband will be taking care of her while I'm gone but not sure if she will even want to take the food from him. Any help will be much appreciated. The last thing i want to hear is that my baby is sick while I'm on vacation :(

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I would start putting the soaked pellets in a bowl-just as if You were going to hand feed them to him-only but it into a bowl.When He eats them out of the bowl-Praise him (Big time) You will not be able to do this with him on your shoulder-so try it on the table or floor(if its safe).I would also have your husband feed him the soaked pellets and then transfer to the bowl.Does he like fresh fruits and veggies or any kind of mash(warmed) You really need to try and get him to eat from a bowl sooner rather then later.The next transition would be for him to eat IN the cage.None of My flock(except the very spoiled Jimmy-30yo OWA) have access to food or treats when they are out for free time.They ALL look forward to going back in at suppertime for Yum-Yums. Let us know how it goes! :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Great advice :tup:

Connievr75

Moving in
Thanks for you quick response! I have been checking her weight every morning and then set the bowl with the soaked pellets on the counter. She will eat a few pellets but then wants me to hold her. She will eat a few more on my shoulder. She has not been eating much of the dry pellets so i make sure to leave fruits & veggies for her to eat during the day. I am sure my husband will do the best but he is self employed and is at work most of the time. Chica is used to being out of the cage for long periods of time. My oldest son is home most of the day and he will leave her out most of the day. I am concerned that she will get lonely and loose her appetite. Just a few weeks ago we were having a really hard time just keeping her in her cage. She would scratch the cage floor or fly from side to side in the cage and could possibly get her. I love the bond we have but it can be overwhelming at times.

Connievr75

Moving in
Hello again! I am still hoping to get more advice on my dilemma. The time is almost here and instead of looking forward to some much needed vacation I can't help but stress about leaving my baby behind. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where are you located? Are you close to the breeder or an experienced handfeeder? That way if there are any issues at all your husband has a back up plan.

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Can you change your plans to make it a staycation? You might just enjoy relaxing at home. Then travel after the fid is a bit older.

Connievr75

Moving in
Unfortunately I can't change my plans. I live in WA state and will be traveling to Texas to see my parents. I was hoping that my parents could come visit this year and that way I would travel when Chica was older but my dad has been ill.

There is a breeder that owns a bird store that lives about 30min away. I will be going to see her this weekend to get some supplies and hope that she can also give me some suggestions. I also have a close friend that has two small parrots and has been a lot of help for me through the weaning process.

Connievr75

Moving in
No, I will be flying :( I have noticed that she is eating more of her hard pellets. Hopefully she will continue to do so after I am gone.

Connievr75

Moving in
The day is almost here :(... I took Chica to the vet and he says she is healthy. It does make me feel a bit better to know that she is healthy and that my husband will do the best he can to care for her. I can't help to feel that a piece of my heart stays behind and that she could get sick. I just pray that she will be ok and will be happy to see me when I return!