• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent help!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
If more breathing problems after doing that and the Bird already is having difficulty, I would be scared spitless to do it . . .

Any luck in finding a vet?

Are there any avian vet training colleges near you?

Ignore this smiley thing, phone inserts all by itself and won't let me delete. I'm sure it's a user error.....o_O

lorihschmidt69

Meeting neighbors
If more breathing problems after doing that and the Bird already is having difficulty, I would be scared spitless to do it . . .

Any luck in finding a vet?

Are there any avian vet training colleges near you?

Ignore this smiley thing, phone inserts all by itself and won't let me delete. I'm sure it's a user error.....o_O
OMG a vet college...we have vet tech program close by. I bet there is a vet there. I never thought of that..calling them first thing in morning. Awesome idea. I left messages all over the place today but didn't think of that one. This forum is amazing.

lorihschmidt69

Meeting neighbors
In order to flush a bird's nostrils out, you need to hold them upside down then flush (literally, flush! not dribble or dabble it in!) an insanely large amount of saline through one nostril, then the other. I had to do this for my bourke parakeet for a while. She hated it! And she had even more problems breathing directly *after* doing the flush, which resulted in her sneezing, wiping her face and doing what she could to just breath. I can't imagine it felt good!

You may want to consider using milk thistle extract (alcohol free - ok if it has dandelion in it, too!) to help her out.... but it may or may not do any good.
Couldn't it go to her lungs?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's the reason for holding the bird upside down. Flush one nostril, and the water should come back out the mouth and maybe the other nostril. It's the same idea as a human using a neti pot, except the fluid mostly comes out of the mouth, and you are using a syringe to flush the saline through the passageways at a quick speed. If you do it fast, it can help to break up anything within the sinus passages.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG a vet college...we have vet tech program close by. I bet there is a vet there. I never thought of that..calling them first thing in morning. Awesome idea. I left messages all over the place today but didn't think of that one. This forum is amazing.
Good luck! In NY we have Cornell University and they are very reasonably priced. What would have cost 800-1000 at my local AV, cost 200 at the University.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
It might be that there is still something causing inflammation in there and, when you stopped the anti-inflammatory (the pain killer is an anti-inflammatory), it 'blew up' again. I don't think that milk thistle is going to help in any way, it's a good liver cleanser but it doesn't do anything for inflammation. Yucca intensive, cat's claw and boswellia are used for inflammation but they are not meant to be used in emergencies, their effect is more long-termed.

What I am going to say is not something that you will like but, if you cannot find credit, funds or free treatment for her, I would suggest you consider giving her up to a rescue so they can take her to a vet because a little bird will not last long if it cannot breathe well...

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
Has the vet not given any advice to you after the treatment? Surely he has an opinion or suggestion to you if you cannot afford another visit. Did he say he thought this was abnormal, an emergency..anything?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Diamond doing?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
DO NOT FLUSH HER IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE SO! You could aspirate her and kill her. If she started having issues after the medication stopped, it is very possible the infection did not clear up completely and may need another round of antibiotics. If there is an infection under the beak and it is not treated, she could loose her beak/life. You have got to get her in or contact a rescue...call the vets office back and ask if they can run another round of antibiotics as well. Did they give you antifungal with the antibiotic? My vet always prescribes antifungal as well.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
If she was on only antibiotics & pain meds without an antifungal, she could have a fungal infection. She needs to see an avian vet now. Can you borrow the money or pawn something temporarily? Wishing you the best.

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hey guys let's all chip in some money. How do we get this done? I'm traveling but can send funds or credit card to avian vet.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
lorischmidt69 hasn't been on since Friday. From a PM with her, she did take Diamond to be seen and this is part of her PM to me "Her nasal passage was punctured and they put her back on same antibiotic. her beak is fractured. They did flush her out. She had to be in oxygen for a while cut she was so upset so her breathing got a lot worse. She sounds better today which is good. If I didn't bring her in it would have been bad cuz it was so clogged."

That was on Thursday and I haven't heard from her since Friday so I'm hoping :fingerscrossed: & :angel1: Diamond is okay. I'd also offered to help off the board but I think a friend lent/gave her some $ to have Diamond seen.

Last edited:

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Ok keep me posted. Don't mine helping. I'm sure we can get a few to chip in if need be.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Any updates?

Im curious as to why the vet only gave you a weeks work of medicine.

Antibiotics should be for 10-14 days, same with pain meds.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
How is she doing today?
Hey guys let's all chip in some money. How do we get this done? I'm traveling but can send funds or credit card to avian vet.
Just a reminder that this type of stuff will have to be handled off of the board per board rules ;)