• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Don't know if this counts as special needs or not.

Sophie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mary
Yesterday I adopted a Cockatiel and the previous owner told me that she had been feeding Sophie Parakeet food because she was born with no claws on her toes and that because of that she felt that it would of been harder for Sophie to break open seeds to eat that are made for Cockatiels.. I am concerned because I know each bird requires nutrition. What do you guys think? I have a feeling that Sophie should be eating food that is meant for her nutritional needs. Any information that is provided will be much appreciated. I grew up around Cockatiels but never had any born with no claws on their toes. I also provided a picture of Sophie's toes.

Attachments

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I don't really know why it would be harder for Sophie to eat larger seeds if she does not have any claws. :huh: Maybe I am misunderstanding something. I have 4 tiels and none of them eat using their feet to hold food. A healthy diet is always good but I don't think Sophie would need anything "special" because of her disability. My vet recommends a diet of 50/50 seed/pellet mix along with fresh veggies and other safe "human" food. My tiels prefer smaller seeds such as that found in a parakeet mix vs a cockatiel mix. I also feed veggies...broccoli, carrots, corn, greens, (they love dandelion greens!) rice, baked sweet potato, pasta, bird bread, etc. I also feed sprouts. Many threads here on AA concerning nutrition. Sometimes it is hard getting tiels to try new foods but don't give up!

Do you have any flat perches - Sophie may like one. My tiels love sleeping on a flat perch. :)

Sophie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mary
I too thought it was a little odd. I mean she could still hold the bigger seeds with her feet, I have no idea what the previous owner was thinking. I am going to start introducing Sophie to newer foods and possibly a Cockatiel mix food. Thank you so much for this information and yes Sophie has a flat perch that she likes to perch on. Again thank you so much for this information.. :)

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My tiel doesn't use his feet to hold food either. He has pellets available all day and gets a couple Nutri-Berries every day. I agree with Cecilia that there really isn't anything super special you'll need. Flat perches are a fantastic idea.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My tile held nothing in his foot. Volkmans sells a quality cocktails seed and Amazon has a good price.

Sophie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mary
The information you all provided was excellent and thank you.. I am getting a pretty good idea that the previous owner didn't want to feed her the other stuff that's meant for Cockatiels due to the price. This kind of makes me sad. I feel she deserves the best nutrition that is meant for her..

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I am happy you have Sophie now to introduce her to some new tasty and nutritional foods! Many of us purchase from MSBS (mysafebirdstore.com) Kathie has a large variety of food as well as supplies and toys. And many toy vendors here that make their toys...as well as some natural wood perches. Have fun shopping for Sophie!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I feed seeds from two different companies. One of the companies I'll feed cockatiel or parakeet seeds. It depends on what's available and sometimes price. (Kaylor of Colorado Sweet Harvest) The other company (Goldenfeast) markets the particular seeds I buy for small birds, not for any particular species of birds. I mix it together.

That, along with pellets, fresh and cooked foods, occasional sprouts and sometimes eggs.

I agree, not feeding larger seeds due to foot problems makes no sense! I think some of the "parakeet" blends are better than some of the cockatiel ones anyway, due to the fact that some of the tiel blends are full of crap that tiels wont eat anyway! Find a good blend and stick with it! Or mix it up!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a tiel with no talons on her one foot, shes fine and eats everything in the place!!

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Introduce her to ALL foods (Safe for birds of course) She can eat without her "feet" Cockatiels usually don't use their feet to hold their food.....even if they do, it does not stop them from eating.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
I got some new food for her today, introduced it to her and guess what she loved it. She likes it better than the other stuff she was eating. :D she even chirps more and whistles. :hug8:
Thats great news