• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hey everyone -

Deflord

Meeting neighbors
Does anyone around here have an Illiger Macaw? I'm interested in tagging up with someone who has an Illiger Macaw. I have a two year old Illiger Macaw - who seems to have a whacked out personality. Well not necessarily whacked out - but this bird just doesnt seem to want to come out of her cage. I would have to bribe her with treats to get her to try to come out. She is very terroritorial with her cage but outside her cage she doesn't even nip/bite or whatever. Is this a common trait of an Illiger?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Hello and welcome to AA. You came to the right place for questions :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Holiday
Yep Holiday, one of the forum administrators has two or three Illigers. She is very fond of Illigers.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I adore Illiger's macaws. :heart: They're one of my favorite species. And, yes, territoriality is a very common trait with this species. At two, your girl is still an adolescent. I'd expect this tendency to get a little more pronounced as she matures. I have a ten year old male and a pair of four-year-olds.

Deflord

Meeting neighbors
Meaning she will become more aggressive? But she is a sweet bird once out of the cage, steps up and etc with no issues. But in the cage - she's like a raging quaker! LOL But to be honest tonight was a unique situation. I had adopted a U2 over the weekend. And I had teh U2 out playing on the playground. So when the U2 turn was done and it was time for the Illiger and Quaker to play - the Illiger came out with no problem. I was like what the heck? I was happy to see this. Im hoping it will continue! :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not exactly more aggressive, but more apt to guard her territory, which is mainly her cage. This is a natural behavior for an adult parrot and tends to be more pronounced with sexual maturity. Here, read this article; it may help to put things in perspective: Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

I don't have any trouble getting two of my Illiger's out. They come out on their own. With the other, I use a stick. He's a rescue but beautifully stick trained, which is good. I'd sooner stick my hand in a beehive than in a mini-macaw cage ;) All of my minis have a rope perch fastened to their door so that when I open the door, they can be on the rope, if I need to step them up. That way, they're not stepping up from inside their cage. Also works great when I need to put them back. I just put them on the rope and shut the door.

Deflord

Meeting neighbors
Okay this helps me understand it better. Im still trying to work with her on allowing us to scratch her head - she doesnt not like to be touched for some reason. She has no problem staying on my hand, she'll nibble, she'll eat things out of my hands and etc - but for me to give her a good scratching she gets all "eh eh eh ne" Im trying to work with her on positive reinforcement - I scratch your head and you get a treat. Few times successful, few times not. :) Still work in progress.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay this helps me understand it better. Im still trying to work with her on allowing us to scratch her head - she doesnt not like to be touched for some reason. She has no problem staying on my hand, she'll nibble, she'll eat things out of my hands and etc - but for me to give her a good scratching she gets all "eh eh eh ne" Im trying to work with her on positive reinforcement - I scratch your head and you get a treat. Few times successful, few times not. :) Still work in progress.
Your girl sounds like a perfectly normal Illiger's. I think working with her with positive reinforcement is great, and I think it will help, but I'd also have realistic expectations about what she's going to be able to deal with and offer. They just are what they are.

My boys are hands-off. They're manly men and not into any mushy stuff. ;) The girl will let me rub her beak and sometimes cuddle her and pet her head a little, but only when she's in the mood. Luckily, she lets me know, but the rest of the time, she does her own thing and gets her snuggles from the younger of the two males. IMO/IME Illiger's are not a very snuggly species. But, that doesn't bother me at all. I still think they're great. And, I'm very pleased that the two younger ones have a bond together.

Deflord

Meeting neighbors
Okay this is good to know - glad to know that its not me going crazy! So now I know who she is and what she is. I mean she is a character - she does this one wing waving, head bobbing and all that stuff.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay this is good to know - glad to know that its not me going crazy! So now I know who she is and what she is. I mean she is a character - she does this one wing waving, head bobbing and all that stuff.

Nah, you're not crazy--you just have an Illiger's, LOL. And, I love that wing wave. :D My younger male does that and bobs his head and says "Waving! Waving!" They are major characters. Major 'tude and spice and lots of smarts.