• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keep Seed Mixture in Freezer?

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
I have been freezing all seeds that come into the house for several days to kill off the bugs (at least, I'm hopeful that it works ;) ), but then I store the seed in the pantry in the unopened bags.

Would the seeds last longer if I kept them in the freezer?

And this might seem stupid, but could bugs get into the sealed bags?

I'm terrified of having a bug infestation.

Tweeky

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kathleen
It's exactly what I do too.. And I have had a worm infestation. Its not pretty.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yup you can freeze the bags and have peace of mind.

BirdBrained

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Manda
I keep mine in the freezer all the time. Keeps the bugs away and it stays fresh longer. I have a sealed glass jar that I fill to keep by the cage and it lasts me about a month or so before I have to refill it.

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Due to the humidity in Hawaii, we keep all pellets, seed and birdy treats in the freezer year round with no problems.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Thanks for the replies! This is very difficult to admit, but one of my kids brought home bed bugs from camp about 25 years ago, and I haven't been the same since. I'm now one of those people who can stay in the nicest hotel and still do a through search in the room for evidence of bed bugs. :scared3: :scared3: :scared3: :scared3: :scared3: :scared3: :scared3: :scared3: :scared3: :scared3: :scared3:

:scared5:

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
I'm paranoid about all sorts of bugs - we've dealt with ants, flies, maggots (THE WORST), and in my current apartment we've seen a few roaches. :sour: I think there was one occasion where my seed mix wound up with some bugs, but I think I've tried so hard to repress that memory that it's hazy whether it was a nightmare or whether it actually happened. :laugh:

I keep my open bird foods out in the open in the bird room, but unopened things stay in the freezer mostly to maintain freshness to some degree, and it prevents any eggs that may have been in poorly sealed seeds from hatching. If I wasn't so lazy and we actually had freezer space, I would keep all the open bird foods in the freezer too... but it's such a hassle to tote 5 or 6 bags to and from the kitchen everyday.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've taken to using Vittle Vaults food storage containers. My first job working at a kennel used these containers to store dog food in. Helps to keep bugs out! I have one for the dog and two for the birds.

Food Storage - Pet Supplies

Had an Iris Airtight Food container for the cats, however last year the ants *literally* ate away at the seal so they had easy access to the food......... needless to say, it has since been replaced with a Vittle Vault! Only reason the Iris was bought was for easy storage and maneuverability of the food. (where it was stored) Instead of the food being on the floor in an easy to roll container, it now sits on a shelf.

Iris Premium Airtight Food Container - Home & Travel

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I keep them in the freezer and fridge.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I bag all my food in weekly or two week supply amounts and freeze them. Each week or so pull out a new bag. I do this with everything including nutriberries, avicakes and pellets since I buy in large bulk.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
We store even nutriberries in the freezer, but I'll share one experience... we have a vacuum sealer, which I thought would be perfect to ensure they would last even longer.... yeah, nutriberries thru the vacuum sealer gives you one lump of nutriberry... same thing with any mixes that have dried fruits in it, what little moisture is left in the dry fruit cause them to clump. But the dry stuff and pellets aworks perfectly thru a vacuum sealer and will last almost forever in the freezer. Just a thought for anyone who is thinking of saving money and buying in bulk but want to e sure it lasts as long as possible :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I freeze my seed into 1 lb increments and then put them in those ceramic airtight canisters people use for flour and sugar.