• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maxi vs Blue Headed

dunnsfarm

Moving in
Ok everyone. I'm new here. I have been enjoying this forum so much.

I have read and read and read. Much of my reading says that the Maxi and Blue Headed are very similar over all...including temperament except for a slight difference in size.

What are your opinions?

Thank you to all in advance!!

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Welcome to the forum! I have no answers for you, never having owned either, but Im very interested in the replies as well...a blue head has always been my dream bird. :)

FutureDVM

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ken
Hi and welcome! I would agree that blue heads and maxis tend to be similar in personality. Obviously, each bird will have its own individual personality, but in my experience most pionus share similar characteristics. I absolutely love my maxi, but I have also had the privilege of meeting and interacting with several blue heads who had awesome personalities. I would suggest trying to meet some birds in person and seeing which one you "click" with the best. Often times, the bird ends up picking his or her human! (Not the other way around). Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions you might have!

happykappy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you for asking/replying as I too am very interested. I hope we receive more replies.

dunnsfarm

Moving in
Thank you so very much for your reply. I have to travel quite a distance for a breeder of either. Was liking the color of the Blue Headed of course. But wanted to see if there was anything noticeably different. I'm hoping to find a breeder that will let me visit before I take the baby home. Thank you so very much. I am also excited to hear what everyone else has experienced too.

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Before I got Hardy (maxi pi), I did some research on Pionus parrots and thought I knew what to expect. I don't know if Hardy is an unusual bird, or if the pionus propaganda board is really doing their job well, but he was a surprise in many aspects. First of all, he was so much noisier than expected! Apartment bird, my rear end!! And I'm used to noise - I have two cockatoos! So, it wasn't a bad surprise, but I had no idea that he was going to be so loud.

Secondly, I read that they aren't especially good talkers. Well, Hardy talks his head off. All the time. Most of the time he talks so fast, and with so much excitement, that you can't make out words. But when he calms down a bit, he is amazingly clear with his words and tone. And he is incredibly smart is using the correct words in context. AND he will overhear words, and incorporate them properly into his own phrases!! His timing is impeccable too - he'll say to me, "Hardy go Daddy!". I bring him to the office where my husband is working, and Hardy says, "Poopy Daddy!!!", then laughs. He has never forgiven my husband for not being his person. Hardy chose my husband, but he's not the bird person - I am. Hardy adapted, but he's holding a grudge! :D

He's also very fearless. I've heard about the pionus wheeze that they do when they are scared - well, I've only heard it a few times with Hardy. He goes everywhere with me and loves to see new things. He's curious about the horses, and yells at the birds who fly overhead. And when I brought him out to see the construction workers at my new barn, he yelled "Stop!!!!!!" when they turned on their saw, instead of being frightened at the sound. :laugh:

The one thing I've noticed about pi's (from my own experience and reading about other pi's on this board and others) is that they are pretty independent and opinionated. When a pionus doesn't want you to handle them, their body language is crystal clear. And if you are foolish enough to try to pick up a Pi in the middle of a pionus strut, you better have 911 on speed dial. You ARE going to bleed!!! ;)

dunnsfarm

Moving in
Thank you so very much SallyQZ. I love to hear everyone's experiences. That will better prepare me for the "unexpected".

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
OH NO, Hardy and Lurch are angels.... :jawdrop1: :rofl: Of course they have good days more then bad but do learn to read their moods and you'll have less bleeding and swearing :rolleyes: